Discussion Board

Thread: Getting help

Nokia Developer Champion

Getting help

Would you do me a big favour - I'm curious as to why so many many many people post that there is an error but then don't bother saying what the actual error is. And I'm realy curious as to why so many people do that?

Does it not compile?
    Does it not link?
    Does it not execute?
    Does it not behave as you expected?
    Is there a panic?
    Is there a exception?
    Is there a leave?
    Does it say there is inititialised or uninitialised data?
    Does it accidentally erase all the data in the user's phone?
    Does it inadvertantly launch a missile and start world war 3?
    Does it accidentally cause your trousers to fall down?
    What is the error?

Have you bothered to search the forums first before posting your question?
    Last edited by hotcheese; 2007-01-11 at 19:58.

Super Contributor

Re: Set value to array 2 dimention?

Maybe Nokia_Ron could put a sticky thread at the top of this forum on how to get questions answered quicker, along with notes on searching the forum?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Set value to array 2 dimention?

I think we can start with the suggestions by hotcheese.
    Asking a vague question is one of surest ways to not get any answer. Saying you get an error or it doesn't compile or link without saying what error message is of no use.

Finally one of the most important items for a good question is posting it in the right forum. Don't post in the feedback forum if it is a Symbian question and don't post in the Symbian forum if it is a Java question. Look at all the forums and post Browsing questions there and not in a "general" category.

Ron

Re: Getting help

This thread from SDN has given a very good guideline for those of who use the forums: How to get the best possible support on the forums.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Getting help

Hi,

PushL has suggested a good link in one of his posts:
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Regards.
    Kiran.

Nokia Developer Champion

One thing 95% of posters asking for assistence do on this forum (or all the other Symbian forums for that matter) is to ask how to implement a certain specific feature which they think is the solution to a problem, rather than asking for advice on the problem itself.

Example, you have a problem X and you think the solution is Y, so you post on here asking how to solve Y, when you should be asking how to solve X.
    And because there are many people who are inexperienced in software development in general, or don't know Symbian, or are just stupid, 95% of the time Y is the incorrect thing to do. So even if you get an answer to Y, it doesn't solve your real problem.

Have a look at this:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=100483

In the first posting Y is being asked for, then in the 7th posting the real problem X is posted. (Incidentally the 7th posting is an excellent example of how you should ask your question, if you all did this it would save a lot of trouble for yourselves and the people trying to help you.)
    In this posting, when X was described it was discovered that Y was not the real solution and a better solution was found. 95% of the time this turns out to be the case, you think you know the solution but actually you don't.

So please do everybody a favour, and post your real problem, not what you think is the solution to your problem.

Nokia Developer Champion

There are on average 248.49 questions asked every day about active objects and the active scheduler.

Before posting another one first read these:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...0b_en.zip.html

http://forum.newlc.com/index.php/topic,13580.0.html
    Numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, 8:

Smile New to this field: Need help

Need help

I am new to Symbian S 60. I Know Java and little bit knowledge of C. I am trying to understand examples given in Smybian 60 software. Guys can you please tell me where I can find usefull information to learn and understanding this coding language. If somebody has code for MMS example which can display image and text message in emulator plz send I really appreciate this.

Thanks in Advance

Madhav

Regular Contributor

Please help Urgent!!!

Please tell me everything about C++, I want to learn it. Is it similar to Basic?

Also please to tell me how to program in Symbian. I want to know it everything. I am is already knowing Cobol.

I have to write program to solve world hunger and global conflict, But How do I begin? I start to write it but it doesn't work, what is wrong with it? Please to write it for me and post the files here when you are finished.

Also what does it mean?:
    "fileERROR: Dll 'IMALAZYNUMPTYIDIOTWHODOESNTKNOWHOWTOSEARCHTHEINTER NETORHOWTOSEARCHNEWLCFORPASTPOSTINGSANDWANTSTORUNB EFORETHEYCANWALKANDEXPECTSEVERYBODYELSETOSOLVEMYPR OBLEMSWITHNOEFFORTONMYPART[01000001].APP' has uninitialised data.make[1]:"

also
    how to automatically launch program at boot up. My boss give me boot up arse, how to make program launch when this happen?

Explain to me what is leave? My wife leave me yesterday, is it similar concept in Symbian? I didn't trap her, should I? What is this leave I read in SYmbian?

Awaiting your response.

Regular Contributor

Re: New to this field: Need help

Quote Originally Posted by madhavan1
    Need help

I am new to Symbian S 60. I Know Java and little bit knowledge of C. I am trying to understand examples given in Smybian 60 software. Guys can you please tell me where I can find usefull information to learn and understanding this coding language. If somebody has code for MMS example which can display image and text message in emulator plz send I really appreciate this.

Thanks in Advance

Madhav
    Madhav not many people will see your question here, i.e. as a response to a sticky. However there's lots of people who ask similar questions about getting started so if you do some searching of the forum you should find existing similar question with answers. But why not check out the FAQs sticky first.

I am not a programmer, I don’t have any idea about program lanugos, but I am looking for a solution how to change a Nokia mobile menu, Java & Symbian OS through simple software by connecting the mobile to a PC (bluetooth, cable). The software should allow the user only the facility to delete options from a mobile menu. For e.g. removing the 'games' or services option from the menu, or removing a sub menu, for instance one type game. Such type of software could become a very useful tool for all mobile shops around the world, as this will allow the parents to give mobiles for the children knowing there is no harm in it.
    I will be very glad if someone can help me with an idea on this.

u can find it in forum.nokia.com.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by madhavan1 View Post
    Need help

Thanks in Advance

Madhav
    Hi Madhav Welcome To Forum Nokia!!!

Start with below material :

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ne_development
    you will get On-site training courses and workshops, self-study materials on below link ...
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/tech...ing/index.html

and for MMS example :

http://www3.symbian.com/faq.nsf/0/E1...2?OpenDocument

Regards,
    Parag Purkar

Nokia Developer Moderator

One year and two months too late bust still it counts as a good answer.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite