Discussion Board

Audio, video streaming and codec related several queries...

Hi,

I am new in this forum and currently I am planing to develop a SIP softphone for Nokia E70 device.

I have several questions to ask for that purpose:

1. Is it possible to stream audio and video like eyebeam using Symbian Multimedia Framework or Multimedia Protocols (RTP)?
    a. If not how it is possible?
    b. Any example help or example available on that?

2. Does Multimedia Framework or Multimedia Protocols (RTP) uses only device specific audio and video Codecs?
    a. Is it possible to add new audio and video codecs for Multimedia Framework or Multimedia Protocol (RTP) API to use (e.g adding H264 video code support for Nokia E70, Nokia E70 supports H263)?
    b. If yes, what set of API needed to incorporate new codec to Framework or Protocol API?
    c. Any example help or example available on that?

Please note my preferred language is C++ and Device is Nokia E70.

Thanks in advance.

- Aditto

Re: Audio, video streaming and codec related several queries...

Hi Aditto,

1. Is it possible to stream audio and video like eyebeam using Symbian Multimedia Framework or Multimedia Protocols (RTP)?
    Assuming by eyebeam you mean: http://www.xten.com/
    Then the answer is yes! To a certain extent you can. You'll need to do quite a lot of work but these are probably the APIs you want.

2. Does Multimedia Framework or Multimedia Protocols (RTP) uses only device specific audio and video Codecs?
    No.
    a. Is it possible to add new audio and video codecs for Multimedia Framework or Multimedia Protocol (RTP) API to use (e.g adding H264 video code support for Nokia E70, Nokia E70 supports H263)?
    Yes, you can add new codecs to the MMF via plugins.
    b. If yes, what set of API needed to incorporate new codec to Framework or Protocol API?
    To add a codec plugin there are many things to be done (see below) but basically you have to create a class derived from CMMFCodec. There are some guides in the SDK documentation on how to write those plugins - there's a section called "How to write Multimedia Framework plugins".
    c. Any example help or example available on that?

As far as I'm aware there aren't any directly relevant examples available. There are quite a lot of posts about developing SIP VoIP clients on the forum though. There are also some examples about using the multimedia framework (mostly the client APIs though, not much for writing plugins). There is an example of an Ogg Vorbis codec plugin available from Symbian and there is the Symbian Ogg player open source project which contains an example of a working MMF Controller plugin (audio only though, not video) - just google for them.

You might want to look at this document first to get an overview:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.pdf.html

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery

Re: Audio, video streaming and codec related several queries...

Thanks Sorcery. I will check all these.