Discussion Board

Thumbs up Poor Performance on Nokia phones & emulators

Hi,
    I am actually developing an application (and not a game) and have found some drastic performance issues with the Nokia, both physical and emulator platforms: s40,s60,s80...they are all slow.

If I create a MIDP 1.0 compatible app (ie I use Canvas and not GameCanvas) and use the following code during Canvas.draw():

for (int i=0; i<loopCount; i++)
    {
    g.setColor(rand.nextInt());
    int x1 = (rand.nextInt()&0x7ffff) % rc.getWidth();
    int y1 = (rand.nextInt()&0x7ffff) % rc.getHeight();
    int x2 = (rand.nextInt()&0x7ffff) % rc.getWidth();
    int y2 = (rand.nextInt()&0x7ffff) % rc.getHeight();
    g.drawLine(x1, y1, x2, y2);
    }

This loop can take anywhere from 10-60 secs to iterate 2000 times on the emulator.
    On ALL other emulators and physical devices the execution time is typcially less than 500ms (and generally around 50-100ms). On some hardware I see some very nice stats (<15ms).
    Why is Nokia so slow?

Any ideas?

I have tried using a GameCanvas and performing my own: dirty rect->update to backbauffer->update to main->flushGraphics. (using a timer). Performance is still bad.

Super Contributor

Re: Poor Performance on Nokia phones & emulators

Interesting.
    Out of curiosity. Have you checked if the rand.nextInt() or rc.getWidth/Height() method calls are slowing the loop down (replace with static values for example). Also you could comment the drawLine() method call.
    I would be interested to know the results, but right now I do not have time to check this out myself. If you do not have time, I'll try to squeeze this in my to-do list.

Hartti

hartti, thanks for your reply.

In short, the getWidth/Height() calls are simply implemented as:
    rc.getWidth() { return right-left; }
    rc.getHeight() { return bottom-top; }
    (I should have removed them from the demo code, but are not the cause for the delay.)

I use the Random to ensure that no caching of colors/line positions are used. In my (slow) application i do not use Random at all, and so I treat the randInt() call as having little impact.

The Graphics object used is simply:
    Image img = Image.createImage(100,100);
    Graphics g = img.getGraphics();
    (getWidth() and getHeight() would also return 100)

Upon further investigation, I was using the emulators provided with: nptsdk_jme_v4_0.zip.
    I have since downloaded and am using the s60 emulators provided with nS60_jme_sdk_3rd_e.zip to MUCH better response (15ms for the test).
    Nokia hardware still seems slower than other manufacturers tho (only by 1 order of magnitude) (eg 100ms vs 10ms).

I would suggest that the 1st set of emulators (nptsdk_jme_v4_0.zip) get either fixed, or removed from the website.

Super Contributor

Ok, so you were talking about the prototype SDKs. Those are provided for early access for future APIs and might not closely resemble the behavior of a real device (like you have seen).

Thanks for the details!
    Hartti

Should I be concerned that physical Nokia phones seem to be consistently 10x slower than other manufacturers (compared against Motorolla, SonyEricsson, Sharp)?

Or is this something that everyone knows about?

[edit]
    The comment above is aimed against speed tests against physical phones. Comparing emulator speeds is rather pointless.

Yes, the emulator I was using is IMHO unusable. Using the latest s60 is much improved, as it performs much faster. This does not change the hardware performance issue tho.
    Last edited by cmroanirgo; 2007-01-04 at 23:44. Reason: unclear comment rectified

Super Contributor

You say "consistently", so I am wondering which phones (both Nokia and other manufacturers) have you tested this on?

I have not heard of such performance differences. There are a couple of Mobile Java benchmark tools, which can be used for proper benchmarking (if there ever is such thing as proper benchmarking):
    JBenchmark has some results here http://www.jbenchmark.com/result.jsp
    SPMarkJava06 http://www.futuremark.com/products/spmarkjava06/ is another tool, but I did not find any combined results pages

Hartti

Thanks hartti, I'll check these out.
    Of course I don't look busy! I got it right the first time.