Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Emulator to Emulator Bluetooth routing using NCF

hi,

i have this simple program which , based on user input , either runs as a sender or receiver. when run as receiver,it simply waits for blue tooth connections from client. when run as the sender,it connects to an available receiver and sends an image,which is displayed by the receiver.so same program runs on different mobiles but playing different roles. now i want to test this on my pc. i have ncf and use sdk 2.1 for code warrior. what i need is to be able to use 2 instances of same emulator (of 2.1) running in NCF. one running client and other running receiver. i tried making setting the "Instance Support" option to "multiple" instead of "single". but still when i drag and create 2 different instances of the same emulator there is a resource conflict as both use same com port (5) . how do i make them use different com ports ? and is it possible to route bt messages from one instance of the emulator to another instance of the same emulator ?? do i require two computers to test such a simple bluetooth program ? in j2me it was very easy , just running two instances of the emulator was enough. due to some API probs i cant use j2me.

so, please please help me.

Regular Contributor

Emulator to Emulator Bluetooth connectivity using NCF

hi,

i have this simple program which , based on user input , either runs as a sender or receiver. when run as receiver,it simply waits for blue tooth connections from client. when run as the sender,it connects to an available receiver and sends an image,which is displayed by the receiver.so same program runs on different mobiles but playing different roles. now i want to test this on my pc. i have ncf and use s60 sdk 2.1 for code warrior. what i need is to be able to use 2 instances of same emulator (of 2.1) running in NCF. one running client and other running receiver. i tried making setting the "Instance Support" option to "multiple" instead of "single". but still when i drag and create 2 different instances of the same emulator there is a resource conflict as both use same com port (5) . how do i make them use different com ports ? and is it possible to route bt messages from one instance of the emulator to another instance of the same emulator ?? do i require two computers to test such a simple bluetooth program ? or do i require multiple sdks. in j2me it was very easy , just running two instances of the emulator was enough. due to some API probs i cant use j2me.

so, please please please help me.have been trying this for over a month

Regular Contributor

hi,

i have this simple program which , based on user input , either runs as a sender or receiver. when run as receiver,it simply waits for blue tooth connections from client. when run as the sender,it connects to an available receiver and sends an image,which is displayed by the receiver.so same program runs on different mobiles but playing different roles. now i want to test this on my pc. i have ncf and use s60 sdk 2.1 for code warrior. what i need is to be able to use 2 instances of same emulator (of 2.1) running in NCF. one running client and other running receiver. i tried making setting the "Instance Support" option to "multiple" instead of "single". but still when i drag and create 2 different instances of the same emulator there is a resource conflict as both use same com port (5) . how do i make them use different com ports ? and is it possible to route bt messages from one instance of the emulator to another instance of the same emulator ?? do i require two computers to test such a simple bluetooth program ? or do i require multiple sdks. in j2me it was very easy , just running two instances of the emulator was enough. due to some API probs i cant use j2me.

Regular Contributor

hi,

Super Contributor

Re: Emulator to Emulator Bluetooth connectivity using NCF

i dont think that possible using NCF. Connection between the very same sdks. you could connect between two sdks.Say one is FP2 and another one is FP3 or something like that. That had worked pretty fine for me. Or will creating a copy of the FP2 sdk and altering its bt.esk file ( so that both the copies have different ports) help you. Try that way.

Priju

Regular Contributor

if i am making an app using one sdk for a particular phone, why shud i install another sdk ?
    is this a work around for the lack of features in NCF or is this the reccomended way ?
    what exactly shud i change in the bt.esk file ??

Regular Contributor

carbide sdk ncf bluetooth problem

hi,

i used to work on .net 2003 + carbide.vs for my symbian c+ s60 project. i decided to try carbide.c++ since its the recommended one. so now i have sdks on my computers one for carbide.c++ and one for .net 2003. i use NCF to connect the emulator to my bt dongle. when i drag the .net sdk and connect it to bt adapter, the bluetooth connection is setup properly and everything works. but if i create a new environment, and drag the CW sdk and connect it with bt adapter , i see no bt messages in the log as the emulator starts. There are no yellow/red warning/error message in the log. no conflicts. once the emulator starts, the bluetooth section in the communications section is blank. why is this so? i have even tried removing both sdks and reinstalling CW one but still doesnt give me bluetooth connectivity with the dongle. as soon as i install .net sdk, its emulator get properly linked with the bt usb dongle and bt starts working properly. why cant i get bt working with CW sdk for carbide.c++ ? plz help me.

Regular Contributor

carbide sdk ncf bluetooth problem

hi,

i used to work on .net 2003 + carbide.vs for my symbian c+ s60 project. i decided to try carbide.c++ since its the recommended one. so now i have sdks on my computers one for carbide.c++ and one for .net 2003. i use NCF to connect the emulator to my bt dongle. when i drag the .net sdk and connect it to bt adapter, the bluetooth connection is setup properly and everything works. but if i create a new environment, and drag the CW sdk and connect it with bt adapter , i see no bt messages in the log as the emulator starts. There are no yellow/red warning/error message in the log. no conflicts. once the emulator starts, the bluetooth section in the communications section is blank. why is this so? i have even tried removing both sdks and reinstalling CW one but still doesnt give me bluetooth connectivity with the dongle. as soon as i install .net sdk, its emulator get properly linked with the bt usb dongle and bt starts working properly. why cant i get bt working with CW sdk for carbide.c++ ? plz help me.
    Edit/Delete Message

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by letronje
    if i am making an app using one sdk for a particular phone, why shud i install another sdk ?
    is this a work around for the lack of features in NCF or is this the reccomended way ?
    what exactly shud i change in the bt.esk file ??
    you wont be able to run two instances of the same sdk as the ports would conflict! thats why i asked you to install another one. if you dont want to install you could make a copy of the existing sdk, add this manually to the ncf, assign ports and in the bt.esk file make sure you have mentioned

Code:
    [hci]
    hcidllfilename= hci_h4.dll
    port= 8
    where the port number would be one less than that mentioned in NCF. So if you have mentioned the port as 9 in NCF it would be 8 out here.

By copying the sdk you could have two ports assigned to the same sdk.

Hope you get what i have mentioned.
    Pls get back if things works fine or not!

Priju

Regular Contributor

hi,
    i made a copy of the sdk 2.1 winscw installation folder and now i can connect them via two different virtual com ports in the NCF. but the problem is that i can only connect two urel emulators only.

whenever i run a udeb emulator in NCF, there are no messages logged and there is no "running" message(in green) displayed over the icon in the environment. for a urel winscw emulator, there is a "running" message as well as lot of bt messages logged when it starts. what is the problem with udeb emu for winscw?

also, i use carbide.c++, how do i compile a project for urel , there is no such option in the configuration list. there are only 3 options :
    1) s60 2.1 emulator debug
    2) s60 2.1 phone release(ARMI)
    3) s60 2.1 phone release(THUMB)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Emulator to Emulator Bluetooth routing using NCF

Hi letronje,

I've put all your spam together but I also have a good news for you: see this new Bluetooth driver that will give access to a Bluetooth dongle from within the emulator.

Hi,

I am new to Symbian C++ programming. Actuall this is my first post in the discussion forum.

I have also tried this and failed. I have installed S60 3rd edtion FP1 in two separate locations and also NCF 1.2. Then I have added these two to the NCF products. When these two emulators are started in the NCF environment two emulator displays come out but there is no "running" indicator on top of the emulator icon in NFC window. Also "start product" menu option is still active in both emulator icons right click menus.

The basic thing I wanted to do is to start two emulator instances and communicate with each other using bluetooth. Is it possible to do this without NCF?

Please let me know the status of this.

Thank you.