Discussion Board

Urgent help needed! Students trying to develop a VoIP application

Hi. We are undergraduate students from College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University, India. We were planning to develop a full-duplex VoIP application on the nokia simulator - Symbian OS as part of our final semester project (3 month time span) until we came across threads in this forum. It says we need a Forum Nokia PRO membership for access to APIs which is meant for companies who can shell out 4000 euros.

Is there means to do atleast a partial implementation - (say half duplex communication) - What other mobile VoIP application/issue can you suggest, we could try our hand at? Please help us out as our review is coming soon.

Regular Contributor

Re: Urgent help needed! Students trying to develop a VoIP application

Becaming a forum nokia pro is not the only way to have access to the APS api. It is possible to get a eStore account and a Partner Api Request, but i don't know the price.

You should contact to the Nokia managers to find out the best way to have access to that api. I don't know whether it is possible to have an agreement with your university, etc.

Contacts (business dev mngrs) at Forum Nokia:
    Americas: niklas.lyback@nokia.com
    EMEA: sanfrid.lindblom@nokia.com
    APAC: eng-wah.tay@nokia.com
    China: li.3.ma@nokia.com

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

you didn't see my announcement !!

You can now get the API's without having to be a full pro developer

*NEW* S60 API Partnering Program
    S60 API Partnering request purchasing is enabled for all developers through Forum Nokia PRO eStore. In order to apply for an internal S60 API, you need to purchase and submit a new support case called API Partnering from the Forum Nokia PRO eStore (FN PRO eStore registration is free).

There is also a full announcement in the Developer's news.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by kumareshp
    Hi. We are undergraduate students from College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University, India. We were planning to develop a full-duplex VoIP application on the nokia simulator - Symbian OS as part of our final semester project (3 month time span) until we came across threads in this forum. It says we need a Forum Nokia PRO membership for access to APIs which is meant for companies who can shell out 4000 euros.

Is there means to do atleast a partial implementation - (say half duplex communication) - What other mobile VoIP application/issue can you suggest, we could try our hand at? Please help us out as our review is coming soon.

Hi Ron,

The FIRST column in the free registration at the Nokia e-Store is the Company Name. What do you expect a student like me to fill that up with? Why is it that Nokia isn't ready to provide support for educational purposes?

Earnestly,
    Kumaresh

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by kumareshp
    Hi Ron,

The FIRST column in the free registration at the Nokia e-Store is the Company Name. What do you expect a student like me to fill that up with? Why is it that Nokia isn't ready to provide support for educational purposes?

Earnestly,
    Kumaresh
    Forum Nokia has several academic programs in place now, but I will admit they are not the easiest to find.

You could put NONE or Academic as the company name. Did you check with your instructor or advisor to see if your school had a Nokia contact.

I'll bring up the lack of visibility for the academic and open source developer's resources with upper management.

Ron