Discussion Board

Large data blocks

Hello,

I am working on a game for the 7210. What I was doing was building an object that held data for a mission in an array. I declared and defined it as follows:

private byte _mission_data[][][] =
    {
    the data
    };

This happens to be a few K worth of data. The first problem I ran into was that this forced the class to span the 32K block code limit. So I moved this out into a separate file. The only problem is that the program now seems to crash when trying to access the data. Is there a problem when accessing large chunks of data? I suppose I could have blown the heap. Since I am using two back buffers in addition to my graphics.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ben

Regular Contributor

RE: Large data blocks

If you have large static arrays (of ints especially) then you're much better off moving the data into a resource file and reading it in at runtime. This will saves lots of class file space.

There shouldn't be a problem with large arrays, certainly not a few k worth. I've got some pretty large ones in some games.

You just have to double check the loading routines to make sure they are loading data correctly.

Hope this helps,

Steve