Question send sms from a "TEXT" and not a "NUMBER"

When we send sms to someone, the receive it as FROM: <a number>

How can I send the sms so that the recipient interprets as FROM: <TEXT>

Any clues will be helpful...

Thanks,
    Raj

Super Contributor

Re: send sms from a "TEXT" and not a "NUMBER"

That depends on the receiving phone. The name is shown if the receiving phone supports it and if the phone number of the sender is stored in the phonebook of the receiving phone.

Hartti

Thanks Hartti,

I well appreciate your time, and intentions to help. but dude, you have defeated the whole purpose of that question...

I am not talking about phone book entries, I am talking about some text (like "NOTICE", "BILL", "BLAH", "BLAH" etc.. etc... Im sure u might have never seen/researched on the subject! any ways, I looked thru some other pages, and came to know SMPP/sms gateways provide this functionality (and END USERS DO NOT NEED TO HAVE SENDER's NO. SAVED IN THEIR PHONE BOOK!!!!) that was totally absurd thought that u had!!!

But im looking some way to encode that data in the sms that im sending myself.... i think i still have to keep my eyes opened!

Thanks anyways,
    -Raj

Super Contributor

Sorry that I misunderstood your question and thanks for clarifying your question in your follow-up post.

Hartti

Super Contributor

You can only change the sender to a text string, if you have, more or less, direct access to your network operator's SMS-C server and the interface/API that the network operator offers allows it.

Getting such access to the operator SMS-C requires you to sign up as some sort of a service provider with your operator and most likely requires you to pay set-up fees, service fees, support fees, etc.

And, I doubt that the setup can be made to work directly from a phone, either (requires access from a static/fixed IP address, secure connection to the SMS-C, possibly only through specific VPN software, special certificates or other authentication, etc., all depending on what your operator's requirements for such access are). In other words, you'd have to set up your own intermediate server that talks to the operator's SMS-C. Then you could write a client app that talks to your server which talks to the operator SMS-C.

thanks petrib!

I aslo found a similar solution. Seems it is just no possible with a regular gsm sms... Anyways, atleast now i know of the limitations...

And Hartti, i might have sounded rude ... i feel sorry for that!

Thanks guys!
    -Rajneesh

Super Contributor

cha0s4u

No sweat, no offense taken!

Hartti