Discussion Board

Cannot install certificate on E60

Hi,

I have problems by creating a certificate using the microsoft CA server and to import the issued certificate to the E60.
    The E60 produces errors during a certificate request by using the phone browser. Also import the certificate on a laptop and export it is not supported by the phone, because of the "unable to open file" or "unknown format".
    I have now a certificate on the phone, by using the PC suite or by sending with infrared, but the certificate is plain text and opened in the notes application.

Does any one how to create a certificate on the phone ? or a workaround by using the standard Microsoft CA server and how to exported the certificate to a supported file format for a E60 ?
    Or how to install the certificate which is opened in the notes application.

Regards,

Arjan

Re: Cannot install certificate on E60

Hello,

I develop a PIM Midlet application. I have a Nokia E60 with newest firmware-update. My certificate is from Thwate Code Signing. It was not installed in the phone - so I installed it via Bluetooth. This works fine with the same workflow in my Nokia N70 phone.

Now, the security options for this certificate allow "Internet" and "Online Cert valiadtion" - but not "Application installing" in E60.
    Problem: my signed Midlet installs correct and I can change the Option for PIM to "allow reading userdata everytime" in the program manager. But when the application starts, the midlet asks everytime for users acceptance to read the contact information.

How can I install the Thwate Certificate (or any other cert) to allow "Application installing" in nokia E60 or alternativly to stop asking user every time.

Best regards,
    Anna

Nokia Developer Champion

First of all, my guess is that the Thawte MIDP certificate was already on the device, or otherwise the installation would have failed (the certificate you installed does not have application signing capabilities turned on - like you mentioned - as it is not possible to install code signing certificates on S60 3rd edition phones). Please check the certificate manager in Settings->Security and look for certificates named MIDP <something>.

What options and how many options do you have available for user data access?
    It should be something alonbg the lines of (in any
    Not allowed
    Ask every time
    Ask first time
    Always allowed

Which of these four options do you mean by "allow reading userdata everytime"?
    The wording you use is suspiciously close to "ask every time" although you probably mean "always allowed". Which one have you selected?

Hartti

Hello Hartti,

the name of the thwate cert is "Thawte Code Signing CA". It was possible to install it via bluetooth.

The options for user data access are, as you wrote:
    Not allowed
    Ask every time
    Ask first time
    Always allowed

In all four options, the result when starting the midlet is the same: it asks for users permissions to read the contacts. But only my E60 phone, not the Nokia N70.

Is it necessary to change the certificate from Thwate to "MIDP Thwate Premium" - that would be expensive ...
    or may it be possible to install the certificate in another way - e.g. as a sis-File for having full application installing rights.

Best regards,
    Anna

Hi,
    I got Class 3 certificate from VeriSign and sign my midlet using the same. But while trying to install the signed application in my Nokia N70, it's not installing. After the full progress of the installation progress bar it saya "Unable to verify certificate" and the application can't get installed.
    I've already checked my phone, there are 3 VeriSign Class 3 certificate present in phone.
    Can anyone please help me regarding this? This is really urgent.
    Thanks in advance.