Discussion Board

Creating an SIS file for the emulator?

I'm trying to develop an application that will have to run on 2nd and 3rd Edition phones. The 2nd Edition emulator is working fine, and I also have an N70 to test things on. However, I don't have any 3rd Edition devices, so I'm having to rely on the emulator (which is spectacularly unstable). Anyway, with this fancy security model used by the 3rd Edition phones, I'd like to make sure any .SIS I create will actually work before I send it off for people to test - does it put files in valid locations where they can then be accessed by the app, that sort of thing. The reason I want to do it myself is because remote debugging via email takes forever. I know that typically .SIS files will contain ARM binaries, but isn't there any way to compile an equivalent for the emulator with WINS binaries?

Super Contributor

Re: Creating an SIS file for the emulator?

Hi andrew_ramsay,

About your unstable 3rd edition emulator: have you installed the Maintenance Release (MR)? http://forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia...16-3.0-mr.html

To install you application on the emulator, you just have to copy the files on the corresponding directories:

Libraries: C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\winscw\c\resource

Emulator binaries: C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\winscw\c\sys\bin

And the application script in: C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\winscw\c\python

To make proper sis for 3rd edition devices you can use ensymble that will take care of everything for you.

After to make a "" standalone "" application on the emulator I'm not sure

LFD
    Devices:
    Nokia E61 3rd Edition - pys60 1.4.0

Tips and modules:
    http://www.lfdm.net/thesis

Re: Creating an SIS file for the emulator?

Yes, I've installed the Maintenance Release version, it still crashes every time I try to play an audio file through Python and at various other times, then it typically crashes on startup the next 5 times I try to start it before magically working again. I'm using the 2nd Ed emulator as much as I can instead, but it's still very annoying. Same behaviour on 3 different PCs so far.

I know where most of the files are supposed to go (except data files used by the app, eg a database file and some images, where is the standard location for that sort of thing? c:\private\<uid> ?), and I know about ensymble and am planning to use it for creating the actual installer, but I'd really like to be able to check that it all works on the emulator before I send it off to people to test on their phones, because if there are problems at that point it can take hours to fix. The app runs fine in the emulator already (at least if I selectively disable audio playback using e32.in_emulator() and e32.s60_version_info).

Basically the application consists of:
    - 3 .py library modules, which go in c:\resource
    - the main script, which should go in c:\private\<uid> ??
    - a set of images and a database, again they should be in c:\private\<uid> ??
    - a .pyd extension module, which should go in c:\sys\bin ??

Are those directories correct? And do I need to do anything special with the installer to allow it to write to any of these directories?

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew_ramsay; 2007-01-18 at 11:52.