Discussion Board

Re: Connectivity using GSM rather than GPRS Nokia 6021

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if any one is at all able to help over this matter? I'd be really grateful is some one could.

Many thanks in advance

RodP

Help! CSD / GSM not GPRS connection for Nokia 6021

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering whether someone could help me. Vodafone very kindly sent me a new phone a few days ago. I was using a 7250i and now have a 6021. I've finally managed to get most things transfered over to the phone (except my bookmarks, but more importantly, I've got stuck setting up my WAP details. The menu structure is much more sophisticated in the nokia 6021.

With my 7250i I used to surf using the vodafone GSM dialup service (+447836900808) and as it's included in my 1000's of free minutes I'd like to continue using this service rather than use GPRS which will obviously add cost to my tarrif - all I do is check my email generally and so not bothered about speed.

I've written the menu structure down into an excel file with the current settings to make things easier - however I can't attach it to this post nor paste the text and make it understandable. I'd be very happy to send you the attachment via email if you think you'd be able to help in anyway. My email address is below. (I've put returns in between the letters to hopefully stop any automated virus progy capturing it and using it!).

Many thanks in advance!

RodP

a
    a
    u
    p
    e
    t
    e
    l
    @
    y
    a
    h
    o
    o
    c
    o
    u
    k

This is a end-user query which should be asked to the end-user support facilities of Nokia. So either your local support representative or there …

Anyway:
    Nokia > Menu > Settings > Configuration settings > Personal configuration settings > New or Options > Add new > Access point > Account name > Vodafone > Access point settings > Data bearer > GSM data > Bearer settings > Dial-up number > +447836900808

then
    Nokia > Menu > Settings > Configuration settings > Preferred access point > Vodafone.

Now all your Java MIDlets use this connection. Furthermore, you have to do the same for all other settings, too.

Re: Help! CSD / GSM not GPRS connection for Nokia 6021

Hi Traud,

Many thanks for taking the time to help. Sorry for posting it in the java section, I tried to move it to the networking section but i don't think it's worked. Can you help?

Anyhow, I followed your instructions and want to check whether I also need to setup a 'web' personal configuration too? Reason being is that it comes up with 'home page not found' if I don't have one. I tried setting one up but althought the phone was dialing up to the internet it doesn't seem to be working as it comes back saying 'not connected' after a short while.

I've tried various combination of settings as below. Perhaps I'm not using the write combination and so would be gratfeul for some additional advice.

Many thanks in advance

RodP

-------

Under 'Pesonal configuration settings':

Access point:
    account name = Vodafone
    data bearer = GSM data
    Dialup number: +447836900808
    Auth type = normal
    Data call type = ISDN
    Data speed = 9600
    Username = wap
    Password = wap
    display terminal window = no

Web:
    name = Web vodafone
    homepage = tried http://live.vodafone.com & http://wap:1999/vodafone.wml
    user = tried wap / user@vodafone.co.uk or nothing but cuts off ~26 sec)
    p/w = tried wap / nothing but no diff
    use preffered access point = if yes then uses 'vodafone' a/p as above
    if I say no then i use these settings:
    proxy enable = yes
    proxy = 212.183.137.12 (alt: 212.183.137.012 but made no diff)
    proxy port = 9201 (remove the port no: call lasts ~3" then cuts off)
    data bearer = gsm data
    dialup number = +447836900808
    auth tyoe = normal
    data call type = isdn (i presume it should be isdn and no analogue?)
    data call speed = 9600
    user = tried wap / user@vodafone.co.uk / nothing but cuts off ~26 sec)
    p/w = tried wap / nothing but no diff
    display terminal windows

I gave you the setup for Java only, because it was not clear, whether you need Web, too. Yes, you have to create one, too. Make sure you know the homepage, IP Proxy+Port (for WAP) and the correct dial-up number as most providers have two different numbers for Web and WAP. Everything else you can forget. You have a ‘use preffered access point’ option? Try that first with the steps I gave you. This will be a Web access without any proxy at should work immediantly.

A port of 9201 is wrong for your new device. I guess, you have the wrong settings at hand.

Please use the end-consumer forum. You are totally wrong here, this whole forum and all subsections is for developer.