Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Port number for sending and receiving SMS

Hi everybody,

I have developed my application using the push registry method, i have used '50000' port for sending and receiving SMS, its working in all kind of mobile, But i think this 50000 port is common for any kind of applicatin developed in J2ME, so i have to give some other port to send and receive SMS (Because the application what i use is kind of launching automatically from the SMS at that port),

1. So i want to know the range of ports whicever supports in all kind of mobiles,

2. Then 1 more thing is, i have installed this application in Motorola A780, application is not even launching automatically from the receiving SMS in any ports. But if the application is opened already its getting the SMS from any port. So my doubt is why in this mobile, the application is not launching automatically from the SMS receiving at any port.

kindly help me for those 2 questions above,

Thanks and Regards
    Ramprasath.

Regular Contributor

Re: Port number for sending and receiving SMS

I have found the following list in Nokia Forum.

8 bit ports are from 240 to 255.
    16 bit ports are from 3500 to 5500
    and also has a higer value range from 16000

I have tried with some of these ports, its not even installing in Nokia 6600, kindly reply me if anyone tried with some other range of ports. And also kindly reply for the above thread.

Regards
    Ramprasath

Hi Ramprasath,

Check the JSR-120 WMA 1.0, page 33, it states:

"A.4.0 Using Port Numbers
    The receiving application in a device is identified with the port number included in the message. When opening
    the server mode MessageConnection, the application specifies the port number that it will use for receiving
    messages.
    The first application to allocate a given port number will get it. If other applications try to allocate the same port
    number while it is being used by the first application, an IOException will be thrown when they attempt to open
    the MessageConnection. The same rule applies if a port number is being used by a system application in
    the device. In this case, the Java applications will not be able to use that port number.
    As specified in the GSM 03.40 standard [1], the port numbers are split into ranges. The IANA (Internet
    Assigned Numbers Authority) controls one of the ranges. If an application author wants to ensure that an
    application can always use a specific port number value, then it can be registered with IANA. Otherwise, the
    author can pick a number at random from the freely usable range and hope that the same number is not used by
    another application that might be installed in the same device. This is exactly the same way that port numbers
    are currently used with TCP and UDP in the Internet."

Hope this helps!
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Regular Contributor

Hi i understood your point, but i want to know what are all freely usable range of ports, because i have tried with some of ports like

8 bit ports are from 240 to 255.
    16 bit ports are from 3500 to 5500
    and also has a higer value range from 16000

But its not even installing in Nokia 6600 mobile, since i have defined those ports in JAD file for PUSH Registry. The only port working is 50000, but i think its commonly defined port, so it may makes a problem if some other applicatino uses the same port. So kindly let me know what are all the freely usable range of ports such that it will be working all kind of mobiles...

Regards,
    Ramprasath

Hi Ramprasath,

0 - 15999 -> as allocated by IANA
    16000 - 16999 -> available for allocation by applications
    17000 -65535 -> reserved

This is from - http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...p/t-18830.html

Hope this helps!
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Regular Contributor

As per your list of ports i have assigned one port b/w 16000 to 16999 and its working in all mobiles. And i have 1 more doubt please clarify that also,

1. Will all the port numbers b/w 16000 to 16999 will work for j2me application (because i have tested some port number b/w that its not even installing in some mobiles)?

2. In Motorola A780 the application in not launching automatically upon SMS arrival, but if the aplplication is opened already, its receiving the SMS from that port, so what may be the problem? This problem i have found in Moto A780 with some other ports also, but same problem. Will this problem occurs in higher end models alone? but i have tested in N-90 its working.

Regards
    Ramprasath