Help:Wiki Editing Quickstart
Creating a new Wiki article
Before you begin, search the wiki to make sure that the topic you want to write about isn't already covered. If it is, you should edit the existing wiki article (if needed), rather than creating a new one.
Once you've made sure that the Nokia Developer Wiki does not currently cover the topic you want to write about, you can create a new page on this wiki as follows:
- Leaving this page open in one browser tab, open a new browser tab.
- In the new tab, navigate to Wiki_Home.
- Select Create New Wiki Page from the left navbar.
- In the search field on the next page, enter the title you want to give to your article. Remember that people will decide whether to read the article based on the article name, so make sure that you choose a title that specifically and accurately describes what you will write about.
Note: Professional writers often choose their title last, because it's easier to decide what to name an article after you've written the article. If you'd like you can choose an interim title now and come back later and change the title. To change the title, use the Move option in the dropdown list of the Wiki navbar.
- After you've entered your title in the search field, select Go.
- On the next page, the title you entered will be shown in red. Click on it. This will open up an editable wiki page.
- Replace the boilerplate abstract text with one or two sentences that describe what your article will cover. Make this as specific and accurate as possible. A good rule of thumb is to start with the phrase "In this article, you will learn how to..." because that keeps your focus on what you're teaching the reader to do. Like the title, the abstract is often easier to write when you've finished the article, so you can write it now as guidance to yourself on what you want to write about, and then come back to it when you're done and make sure it still describes what the article is about. You can think of the abstract text as the main() method in an application - it brings everything else together.
- Fill out as much information in the ArticleMetaData section as you can. At minimum, you should specify creationdate and author.
- Include a brief introduction. You can just repeat and/or expand upon what you wrote in the abstract. If possible try to include an image, as explained in the section below.
- Scroll down to the Add Categories field and enter the appropriate category(s).
- Scroll down to the Summary field and enter: Creating a first version of page title
- Select Save page
- Iteratively Edit and Save the page until you feel it is complete.
Note: If you are new to the wiki, you can find formatting information on the Help:Contents page.
- When you are satisfied with your page, scroll down to the Category section and uncheck Draft
- If you are entering your article into a Wiki Challenge, be sure to follow the guidelines in the Wiki Challenge Description to officially enter your article into the Challenge. Usually this means you need to include some template text in the article, and you need to add a link to your article to the Talk page associated with the Wiki Challenge Description.
Using a Template
The Nokia Developer Wiki offers some templates; most notably the Code snippet template for developers. You can use a template as follows:
- In one browser tab, open the template you want to use. From the top Wiki navbar, select Edit (between View and History) to open the template source code, and copy the source to your clipboard.
- In another browser tab, open the article you are working on. Select and delete all of the text in the page. (If you've already updated the Abstract and Metadata make sure you don't clobber your changes.) Paste in the template source.
- Close the tab that contains the template file (no need to save changes).
- In your article, follow the guidance text in italics to complete your article. When you are done with the guidance text, delete it.
Uploading an image
- Before you can use an image on a page, you need to upload it to the wiki. Do this by selecting "Upload file" on the left toolbar.
- Once you've uploaded the image to the Wiki you can include it in your page using the following code.
- [[File:filename.jpg|none|frame|Image Description]]
Select the comment tab on the top wiki navbar and ask your question, and one of the administrators will help you. Asking your question this way ensures that the answer is preserved here in case others have the same question in the future.