Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
MIDP (Mobile Information Device Profile) is a specification/profile designed for mobile devices and PDAs (JSR 37). MIDP1.0 is the initial version which contains all the features required for java coding for Java ME. It works over CLDC 1.0 or 1.1.
In order to overcome the limitations of MIDP 1.0 most of the mobile vendors have added implementation of proprietary api, like Nokia UI API.
- MIDP 1.0 has no active rendering APIs
- MIDP 1.0 has no support for direct access to image pixels (RGB data)
- MIDP 1.0 has no support for full screen mode without a propietary API, like Nokia UI API.
- MIDP 1.0 has no support for audio directly without a propietary API, like Nokia UI API or MMAPI.
- MIDP 1.0 only supports HTTP support.
- MIDP 1.0 cannot query key status when you want (although key events are supported)
MIDP 1.0 includes these packages:
- javax.microedition.lcdui (see LCDUI)
JCP specification: http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=37