Mobile Design Pattern: Scalability
From Nokia Developer Wiki
Created:(30 Jun 2009)
Last edited:(09 May 2012)
Scalability refers to the ability of the application to adapt to different screen sizes and orientations.
- When effective usage of screen space is required.
- To provide rich experience to the user.
- Different variants of application not required for different screens.
- Some applications like browser can be used much better in landscape mode.
- Less effort required to support the application on a new device.
- Built in system components already supports scalability.
- Custom components should be designed and tested properly for scalability.
- Orientation change can be initiated through a hardware event and also through the application.
- On change of orientation, the application should continue normally.
- In case a particular screen is not supported, proper error dialog should be displayed to the user.
- Application data like text, images should be rendered properly for different screens and should be easily readable by the user.