Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
NMEA String can not be retrieved on Belle devices with Java ME
The NMEA location string can not be retrieved on certain Belle devices when data package connection is disabled and when location retrieval is attempted with only the "Integrated GPS" positioning method turned on.
The NMEA string contains additional information about the device's current location, such as the satellite coverage and signal strengths. It becomes available as soon as a valid location object is retrieved. The successful retrieval of the NMEA string, should not depend on the positioning method used. In certain Belle software versions however, the NMEA string can not be retrieved unless:
- The Assisted GPS option is turned on from Settings> Application settings > Positioning > Positioning methods
- The criteria value for allowing costs to incur is either omitted or set to its default value "Allow", i.e.
How to reproduce
Download the LocationMIDlet Binaries from this Wiki article:
The following steps are needed in order to reproduce this error:
- Ensure that all data package connections are disabled
- Ensure that you are in open space where your location can be retrieved without using the assisted GPS method
- Launch the LocationMIDlet
- Set the "Power consumption" to "High" for a faster location retrieval
- Set the "Allow cost" option to "No"
- Select "Get"
Extra info: N/A
Extra info: Available in NMEA format!
This error affects Belle devices running 111.030.0609. However this does not affect Belle devices with 111.0303.0505.
No known solution is available