Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Push registrations for Bluetooth MIDlet turns off in the latest S60 3rd Edition devices (Known Issue)
Push registrations for Bluetooth are turned off in Symbian devices if the device is turned off.
Starting from MIDP 2.0, MIDlets can use push registry to set themselves up to be launched automatically if the underlying implementation supports push operations. MIDlets can be activated by incoming connections if they first register with push registry, either statically or dynamically.
In S60 3rd Edition FP2 and S60 5th Edition, both static and dynamic registrations for Bluetooth connections will be set off if the device is turned off.
How to reproduce
To test this issue, you need two S60 devices.
The issue can be reproduced by testing static push registration as follows:
- Include a Bluetooth connection string for static push registration in the JAD of a test MIDlet, for example:
- Install and launch the test MIDlet. The push registration will be performed.
- To perform device and service search, install a Bluetooth MIDlet to another S60 device and launch the application. You can use, for example, the MIDlet for S60 devices in the 'Supplementary material' section of CS001213 - Discovering Bluetooth services in Java ME.
- Once completed, check that the list of discovered services includes the connection string (either the full string or just the name; for example, the example MIDlet returns 'Service -pushTest').
- Turn off the device with the static registration and turn it on again.
- Repeat device and service search with the other device.
- The connection string (see step 4.) is now missing from the S60 device.
No solution expected for S60 3rd Edition FP2 and S60 5th Edition devices.