Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
SIS is an acronym that stands for Symbian Installation System. It is an installation file for Symbian OS, and not an application file. Basically a SIS file includes the following:
- Application: The file with an extension of .EXE (in case of pre v9 it is .APP for UI-based and .EXE for console-based applications).
- Library files: Static libraries will have an extension of .LIB and dynamic one will have an extension of .DLL.
- Resources: The file with .RSC extension, which is the resource file for an application. The resource file's extension may change according to the languages, in which case it would be .R01, .R02, .R03 etc,.
- Bitmaps: These are the bitmap files with an extension of .MBM or .MIF.
- Embedded SIS: A SIS file file can contain another SIS file, too.
- Application Config: These are user-defined files, the extension may vary.
Generally the tool MakeSIS.
Alternatively, you can produce SIS packages using the tool PackageForge. PackageForge is a commercial graphical installation and packaging tool.
Also see SignSIS.