Software update instructions for Nokia Asha (& Series 40) phones
Nokia’s Software updates for Asha and Series 40 phones introduce new features, improvements and fixes that let you do even more with your phone. Updating your phone is easy - read below to find out how.
How to update my Nokia Phone?
You can update your Nokia Asha or Series 40 phone wirelessly Over the Air (OTA). With Over the Air (OTA) updates you don’t need any cables or a computer, you can simply download and install the update using your phone and an internet connection.
Most of the Asha and Series 40 phones can be alternatively updated with Nokia Suite. With Nokia Suite you will also need a computer with an internet connection and a compatible USB cable.
Tip: To keep data costs down, it's recommended that you use a Wi-Fi connection or Nokia Suite. Nokia software updates are free of charge but if mobile data is used to update wirelessly Over the Air (OTA), data transmission costs may apply. For more info on the possible costs, contact your network service provider.
Update wirelessly Over the Air (OTA)
- Step 1. For most phones:
- Step 2. Select “downl. phone sw”.
After the update you can check your current phone software version by dialing *#0000#. There can be sometimes more than one update available, so you may need to repeat the steps to get to the latest software version.
Watch how to update your phone wirelessly Over the Air (OTA)
Update using Nokia Suite
- Step 1. To update your phone, you need Nokia Suite software on your computer. Download Nokia Suite
- Step 2. Connect your phone to your computer with a compatible USB cable.
- Step 3. Start Nokia Suite, and go to Tools > Software updates. Then select the update you want to download, and click Install.
Note: Some of the phones such as Nokia 110, Nokia 111, Nokia 112, Nokia 113, Nokia 114, Nokia 206, Nokia 301, Asha 205, Asha 210 or Asha 501 do not support Software updates or backup using Nokia Suite. With these models updating the phone wirelessly Over the Air (OTA) is the only available method.
Watch how to update your phone using Nokia Suite
Check available software updates
Update availability may vary depending on things like your phone model, region, and network service provider or carrier. There are 2 ways to find out about new software updates for your phone:
- Go to Menu > Settings > Phone > Device updates on your phone and select the “downl. phone sw” option to check for new updates. You can also set the phone to check for new updates automatically from “auto SW update” menu.
- Nokia Suite will automatically notify you of new software updates when you connect your phone to your computer.
- You can also find information about the different software versions from here or from phone support pages.
Get prepared for an update
- We recommend that you create a backup before doing a software update using Nokia Suite or “Settings > sync & backup > create backup” function on your phone. If you create a backup using your phone, a memory card is required.
- When updating wirelessly Over the Air (OTA), the size of an update package can be several megabytes, so unless you have a data plan it is recommended that you use a Wi-Fi connection.
- Check that your phone is set to the correct date and time. With a wrong date or time, your phone won’t be able to access the updates.
- Before starting the update, make sure your phone has enough battery power. If the battery level is low, charge the battery before starting the update.
- Make sure there is enough space on your phone memory for the update. If necessary, remove some apps or other large items or move them to the memory card.
- After the update, you can re-download apps from Nokia Store.
Trouble installing an update?
If you have problems during the software update, you can try the Nokia Support Discussions to solve them.