Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Software update instructions for Nokia Asha Software Platform phones
Nokia’s software updates for the Nokia Asha phones introduce new features and improvements that let you to do even more with your phone. Updating your phone is easy – read below to find out how.
How to update my Nokia Asha phone?
You can update your Nokia Asha phone wirelessly Over-The-Air (OTA). With OTA updates you don’t need any cables or a computer; you can simply download and install the update using your phone. Updates are free of charge, but to download the update, you need an internet connection. It is recommended to use a Wi-Fi connection to avoid any unwanted charges.
By default your phone will automatically check for updates every 8 days and you will be notified when an update is available for download. If an update was found, simply tap the notification message and click Update. You can also see the main features of the update by opening the Release note link. If you opened the release notes, you can return to the Phone update view by pressing the back button.
On phones running software version 11.1.1, or newer, you can also check for updates by going to Settings > Phone update and tapping Check for updates. On phones running older software version, you can force the update check by switching off and back on the Check via mobile data setting from the Settings > Phone update menu.
Get prepared for an update
- Software updates from Nokia are safe to install, and your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound. However, if you would like to create a backup, you can do that from Settings > Backup > Create backup. This will create a backup of the phone settings and personal content to the memory card.
- The size of an update package can be several megabytes, so to keep the data costs down, we recommend that you use a Wi-Fi connection. Nokia software updates are free of charge but if mobile data is used to download the update, data transmission costs may apply. For more info on the possible costs, contact your network service provider.
- Check that your phone is set to the correct date and time. With a wrong date or time, your phone might not be able to access the updates.
- If the phone battery level is too low, your phone will prompt you to charge the battery before starting the update.
- In case there is not enough free space on the phone memory to start the update, you will be prompted to free up space. That can be done by, for example, removing some apps or other large items or moving them to the memory card.