Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Software update instructions for Nokia X phones
Nokia’s software updates for the Nokia X phones introduce new features and improvements that let you to do even more with your phone. Updating your phone is easy – read below to find out how.
How to update my Nokia X phone?
You can update your Nokia X phone wirelessly Over-The-Air (OTA). With OTA updates you don’t need any cables or a computer; you can simply download and install the update using your phone. Updates are free of charge, but to download the update, you need an internet connection. It is best to use a Wi-Fi connection to avoid mobile data transmission costs. Software updates from Nokia are safe to install, and your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound.
- Step 1. Your phone notifies you when an update is available for you. You can also check for updates by going to Settings > About Phone > System updates and tapping Check Now.
- Step 2. To view and to install the updates, just tap the notification message, click Update and follow the instructions shown on your phone. You can install the update immediately, or postpone the update to a more convenient time.
- Step 3. The update takes around 15-30 minutes, and you are not able to use your phone during the update installation. You may need to restart your phone to finish the installation.
Get prepared for an update
- Software updates from Nokia are safe to install, and your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound. However, if you would like to create a backup, you can do that from Settings > Backup and reset > Create backup. This will create a backup of the phone settings and personal content to the memory card.
- The size of an update package can be several megabytes, so to keep the data costs down we recommend that if your phone supports it you use a Wi-Fi connection to download the update. Nokia software updates are free of charge but if mobile data is used to download the update, data transmission costs may apply. For more info on the possible costs, contact your network service provider.
- Check that your phone is set to the correct date and time. With a wrong date or time, your phone might not be able to access the updates.
- Before starting the update, make sure your phone has enough battery power. If the phone battery level is too low, your phone will prompt you to charge the battery before starting the update.
- In case there is not enough free space on the phone memory to start the update, you will be prompted to free up space. That can be done by removing some apps or other large items, or moving them to the memory card.