Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Talk:BugSense for WP8 - Error tracking/ Quality metrics
Hamishwillee - Subedited/review comments
My concern with this is that it adds nothing much over the existing documentation here: http://www.bugsense.com/docs/windowsphone - indeed it probably isn't as complete.
It is worth having a page on this topic to highlight it to developers. However there isn't much point in creating documents that aren't as complete as the originals. So I recommend you either:
- Extend this with a buildable example that shows how to do everything in the document and everything possible with the API so that people could give it a try and see the source code used "in anger", or
- Remove the "how to" stuff and have a very clear link to the above documentation. So in this case this becomes an introduction to the features and then clear link to where people go for the installation manual
Does that make sense?
In terms of subediting, I made some changes to wiki style and English expression. For your future writing, a few notes:
- For feature lists, it is usually best not to use headings because these end up making the table of contents very big. Use bullets unless there is a LOT to say in each section.
- Always link to your references or other documentation you built on. Usually best to do this in first mention, or in a SeeAlso as I have done
- I tend to use bold for instructions to press keys and for file names.
I do think this is a great tool to know about so thanks for raising it. Could you also add this to Toolkits and Libraries for Windows Phone ?
09:01, 28 January 2013 (EET)
Aady - Thanks for the review
Agreed to your suggestions and you got that right, the intention here was not to give a complete indepth re-view of BugSense, but to let developers know that there is something good that exists, introduce its functional power and direct to indepth original documentation.
Also thanks for subediting the article to make it more like wiki style.
Added it to the WikiTopics in Toolkits and Libraries for Windows Phone.
18:47, 28 January 2013 (EET)
Hamishwillee - Thanks
OK, so I've removed everything in the "Getting Started" section and replaced it with the link to the official docs - as discussed there is no point having partial howto description here as it detracts from the original. I think now the article is good - it provides an overview of the tool features and links to key documentation. In essence we've created an entry point to the tool - its not innovative but it is useful.
I will also remove the Summary as it doesn't particularly say anythign useful
Thanks for this, also for updating the Toolkids doc!
01:38, 29 January 2013 (EET)
Aady - Sounds good
Thanks for making the changes.
18:24, 29 January 2013 (EET)