Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Tooltip can be described as a small label or text that appears next to a tool/control when the user pauses over it. The tooltip is typically a one-or-two-word text which describe what the control/view is. Tooltips are handy when a you have multiple tabs in application and user scroll through these tabs using left and right arrow keys.
Some usability guidelines for tooltip
- The tooltip text should be kept small limiting to one or two words only.
- Should not use symbols and punctuation in the tooltip text.
- Tooltip should be visible for 3-5 secs when the user hovers over a button/tool and should be turned off after that.
- Should be really useful for novice users.
- Click for a code snipplet on How to show tooltips in Symbian applications