Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Unable to insert minus character into TextField.NUMERIC with alphabetical keyboard in Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (Known Issue)
S60 5th Edition
Inserting the minus character into a numeric TextField with the alphabetical keyboard in Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is not allowed.
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic allows three different keyboards (Mini QWERTY, Full screen QWERTY, and alphanumeric keypad) for inserting text into a TextField.
If a TextField is defined as a numeric TextField, inserting numbers and minus character is allowed for all keyboards. However, when using the alphabetical keyboard (Mini QWERTY, Full screen QWERTY) of Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, inserting the minus character is not possible.
How to reproduce
- For testing, implement a test MIDlet by using this source code as template: TextBox
- Modify this line:
TextBox textbox = new TextBox("Text Box Example", "This is an example of a TextBox",50,0);
- The modified line:
TextBox textbox = new TextBox("Text Box Example", "This is an example of a TextBox",50,TextField.NUMERIC);
- Install and launch the application.
- Tap the TextBox to open the keyboard for inserting text into the TextField. Choose an alphabetical keyboard (Mini QWERTY, Full screen QWERTY) if not already visible.
- Insert some numbers and try inserting the minus character.
- For comparison, choose alphanumeric keypad and repeat step 5.
This issue is expected to be fixed in future S60 5th Edition devices.
For Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, use alphanumeric keypad only.