Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
WP Designer Day Feb 2012
This page contains information and materials related to the design and tooling for Windows Phone, shared during the Windows Phone Designer Day in Sunnyvale, CA in Feb 2012.
The objective of the day was to educate designers who already knew other mobile platforms on Metro UI, which is the visual and interaction style used by Windows Phone. If you are a mobile app designer and already have familiarity with other mobile UIs, you may find this material useful.
For an overall introduction to Metro UI, in addition to the presentations below and videos to be added soon, you may want to investigate the links found on this page.
The suggested way to review the material of the event is to first watch Bryan's video Windows Phone Experience in Review which introduces the Windows Phone experience for consumers.
If you have been using a Windows Phone for some time, then you may feel more comfortable jumping straight to Developing Applications Using Microsoft’s Metro for Windows Phone on Youtube - then watching the rest of the videos and reviewing the rest of the slides on this page.
Design by Bryan Agnetta
- Metro origins
- Metro principles
- Layout, typography, and motion
- Embracing the phone experience
- Windows Phone Experience in Review (YouTube)
- Developing Applications Using Microsoft’s Metro for Windows Phone (YouTube)
Design by Corrina Black
- Visual language and inspiration
- Application patterns, controls, and interaction design
- Motion to reinforce function
Files (slides and examples)
- File:WPDD03 Corinna TheGridSystem.pdf and
- File:WPDD03 Corrina Example Grid.zip
- Meeting User Expectations with Metro Design Elements for Windows Phone (YouTube)
Build by Corrina Black
- Introduction to Silverlight
- Overview of Expression Blend
- Understanding and working with XAML in Expression Blend
- Project templates
- Controls – SDK and Toolkit
- Sample data and data binding
- Theme resources
- Custom animations
- Importing Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator files
- File:WPDD03 Corrina BuildPreso.pdf - Slides and examples
- File:WPDD03 Corrina MetroMotionDocumentation.zip
- How to Build a Prototype App Using Expression Blend for Windows Phone (YouTube)
Refine by Dave Crawford
- 10 most common mistakes to avoid
- File:WPDD04 Dave common windows phone design mistakes 3.pdf - slides
- Windows Phone Design Mistakes and How to Avoid Them (YouTube)
Above are the agenda and accompanying slides that were used for the Windows Phone Designer Day in Sunnyvale, CA on Feb 9, 2012.