Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
XHTML - eXtensible HyperText Markup Language - Mobile Profile (MP) is a subset of XHTML 1.1 for design mobile websites for WAP 2.0 browsers. Last mobile browsers supports CSS, ECMAScript and AJAX applications.
XHTML MP is derived from XHTML Basic by adding XHTML Modules, with later versions of the standard adding more modules. However, for certain modules, XHTML MP does not mandate a complete implementation so a XHTML-MP browser may not be fully conforming on all modules.
1.0: First Version 1.1: Add support of ECMAScript Mobile Profile 1.2: Add support of form and object
WML Features lost in XHTML MP
- XHTML MP does not support decks and cards, you have one only page to show per XTHML document
- XHTML MP does not support timers. ECMAScript MP can handle this.
- XHTML MP does not support events. ECMAScript MP can handle this.
- XHTML MP does not support variables. ECMAScript MP can handle this.
- XHTML MP does not support client-side scripting until ECMAScript MP MP appears
- XHTML MP does not support programmable softkeys. ECMAScript MP can handle this.
- XHTML MP does not support the u tag (for underline)
- XHTML MP does not support the format attribute for input fields, although XHTML MP 1.2 provides the inputmode attribute to the same effect
- XHTML MP does not support posting of data with anchor links
An XHTML MP file has a .xhtml, .htm or .html extension and must be provided with one of this MIME types:
Inside the XML document, the rules are
- Tags must be closed properly
- Tags and attributes must be in lowercase
- Value of attributes must be enclosed within quotation marks
- No attribute minimization is allowed
- Tags must be nested properly
Hello World XHTML MP
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">
<title>XHTML MP Hello World</title>
<p>Hello world. Welcome to Nokia Developer Wiki.</p>
- W3C Recommendation for XHTML 1.1
- W3C Recommendation for XHTML Basic 1.0
- W3C Recommendation for Modularization of XHTML as of April 10, 2001.
- W3C Candidate Recommendation for XHTML Basic 1.1
- XHTML-MP Authoring Practices
- W3C Mobile Web Best Practices for XHTML Basic 1.1