Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Adding the Nokia IDE for Java ME to your Eclipse installation
This article explains how to add the features of the Nokia IDE for Java to an installation of Eclipse
You can add the features of the Nokia IDE for Java to a copy of the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers 'Indigo' or earlier. Please note that the Mobile Java Tools (MJT) features should not be installed, their presence will prevent the installation of the Nokia IDE for Java ME plug-in.
Once installed, you will have access to the NokiaDevEnv perspective and the Nokia IDE tools. However, the Nokia specific welcome screen is not included in the installation.
- Start Eclipse.
- On the Help menu, click Install New Software.
- In the Install dialogue, click Add (next to the Work with field).
- In the Add repository dialogue, as shown below:
- in Name provide a suitable name for the repository, such as NokiaIDE.
- in Location enter http://nds2.fds-forum.nokia.com/nokias40sdkrepository/nokiaide/plugins.
- Click Ok.
- In Work with select the repository you just added.
- Select the Nokia IDE for Java ME item and click Next.
- In the Review dialogue, click Next.
- Read the license agreement and then select I accept the terms of the license agreements. Click Finish.
- In the Security Warning dialogue, as shown below, click OK.
- The Nokia IDE for Java ME plug-in is now installed.
- When prompted to restart Eclipse, click Restart Now.
- When Eclipse has restarted, on the Window menu point to Open perspective and click Other.
- In the Open perspective dialogue select NokiaDevEnv and click OK.
Using the Nokia IDE for Java ME features
With the plug-in installed and the NokiaDevEnv perspective open you can use the tools of the Nokia IDE for Java ME in exactly the same way you would in a standalone installation of the IDE. For a quick guide to the features of the IDE, view the Introduction to Nokia IDE for Java ME video (remembering that you don't have the Nokia welcome screen) or visit the Getting Started with Nokia IDE for Java ME section of the Nokia Developer website.
If the download of the Nokia IDE for Java plug-in times out, try increasing the timeout values in the eclipse.ini:
For more information see the Eclipse Transport Debugging help documentation.
(Please note that adjusting the timeout options to resolve this type of issue hasn't been tested.)