Carbide.vs is targeted at developers with Visual Studio skills who want to create C++ applications for Symbian OS platforms. Carbide.vs provides easy entry into Symbian OS C++ development with wizards and other automated functions that integrate with Visual Studio. User can get started with minimal manual configuration. Carbide.vs also contains functionality to automate several development tasks specific to Symbian OS.
- Visual Studio look and feel
- Support for development with multiple SDKs
- Project import and creation functions
- Automatic maintenance of key Symbian OS files
- Fully incremental project build for emulator use
Visual Studio 2003
Visual Studio 2003 is the previous version of this IDE before Visual Studio 2005. In this version, you can:
- Develop mobile websites with ASP.NET Mobile Controls. VS 2005 or Visual Web Developer is recommended to use at this time.
- Develop C++ Symbian applications using the plugin Carbide.vs.
This is a commercial IDE and doesn't have free versions (as 2005 has).
Installing Carbide.Vs is the best way to get started coding in Symbian C++. There are templates that allow coding for different application needs for different SDK's. Templates are available from simple helloworld to client/server applications.
Not only it facilitates ease of development it is also very useful for application debugging.
Visual Studio 2003 does not provide on-device-debugging.
Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio 2005 is the last IDE from Microsoft to develop applications under the .NET Platform and C++.
For Nokia mobile developers, VS 2005 offers the following options:
- Develop dynamic websites for mobile devices (WAP), as phones with ASP.NET Mobile Controls. This platforms produces properly WML, HTML or XHTML Mobile Profile depending on mobile characteristics.
- Symbian c++: You should Develop applications for Symbian in C++ using the latest version of Carbide.vs, Carbide.vs 3.0. Download Carbide.vs 3.0 from http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/a133232e-8a5a-4bd3-973e-a48edeb098b0/Carbide_vs_3_0.html
Visual Studio 2005 comes in many versions, including free ones called "Express Versions" which includes:
- Visual Web Developer Express: a free IDE to develop ASP.NET Mobile Web pages.
- Visual C++ Express
- SQL Server Express
You can download free versions from http://msdn.microsoft.com/express
Note that the Express tools cannot be extended and hence are not supported by Carbide.vs 3.0
ATTENTION Carbide.vs 3.0.1 Users:
Some users have experienced problems with linking their programs when using the WINSCW compiler found in Carbide.vs. The following procedure instructs users how to patch their installation with an updated WINSCW compiler.
- Download patch - Compiler Patch Kit
- Unzip to carbide.vs root directory (C:\Nokia\Tools\Carbide.vs30\ by default)
- Answer 'yes' to questions about overwriting existing files
This patch contains build 473 of the WINSCW compiler. It fixes the "LNK1318: Unexpected PDB error"-problem. The new compiler will be included in the 3.0.2 version of Carbide.vs.