Naming and versioning of Java Runtime for S60
Java Runtime for S60 is Java ME compliant, mobile Java runtime environment designed for Nokia S60 devices. Starting from S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 Java Runtime for S60 is versioned separately from the underlying S60 Platform with aim to provide more frequently new Java versions to the market. Key drivers for that are for example faster time-to-market for new features and a possibility to update Java Runtimes for S60 independently in the future via Nokia SW Update.
Recommended naming conventions:
- General name: Java Runtime for S60
- Name for specific releases: Java Runtime x.y for S60, e.g. Java Runtime 1.4 for S60
- Name for use in technical documentation: JRT x.y (requires explanation of acronym before the first use in a page, e.g. Java Runtime 1.4 for S60 (JRT 1.4))
Java Runtime version number is using format X.Y.Z, where
- X is major version - major architectural improvements, major evolution, major usability
- Y is minor version - new features, new usability, new inputs such as touch or qwerty, minor architecture changes
- Z is build number - bug fixes, small new sub-features, stability enhancements
Release notes for currently published versions
How to check the Java runtime version
The Java version number can be queried by using standard System.getProperty() method as shown below:
For example, the result string in Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is:
In the string java_build_version indicates the Java release version, in this case 1.3.4.