Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Archived:Series 40 Webinars - Publish and Win Competition 2013Q1
Publish and Win is a competition running in conjunction with the 2013 Series 40 Java and web apps webinars running in January through to the end of April 2013. The goal is for you to show us what you have learnt from the design and technical webinars we ran during 2012 and have planned for you in the first four months of 2013.
In May 2013 the developers of up to three winning applications will receive a Nokia Asha 311 and a Nokia 808 PureView and up to twenty developers will receive a Nokia Store spotlight package or $100 NAX credit.
Every app you submit should deliver a great UI that complies with the full-touch UI guidelines. Using one or more of the other technologies we cover in a webinar, such as advertising powered by NAX, will be an advantage. Making use of the features of Marketing in a Box — to drive downloads and gather reviews and star ratings — won’t hurt your chances of winning a prize either.
How to participate
First, register and attend one of the Series 40 Java and web apps webinars running in January through to the end of April 2013. Then create one or more new Java or web apps, and have them published in Nokia Store before 23:59 UTC on 14 May 2013.
Here are the competition rules:
- you must have attended a webinar before 23:59 UTC on 30 April 2013 to have the opportunity to enter.
- submitted applications must be for Series 40 Developer Platform 2.0 (full-touch UI). Implementations for other editions of Series 40 will be taken into account during judging, but are not a requirement.
- your submitted application(s) must be new and not published in Nokia Store before 1 January 2013.
- your submitted application(s) must be published in Nokia Store by 23:59 UTC on 14 May 2013 (it's your responsibility to allow sufficient time for your app submission to Nokia Publish to be published in Nokia Store, but we suggest you allow 2 to 3 weeks).
- applications must be available in English. Translations may be provided in other languages, but only the English version will be judged.
- add a comment to this competition page including the Nokia Store link to any app you want to submit, with the title of the Series 40 webinar you attended.
- up to three (3) overall winners could win a Nokia Asha 311 and Nokia 808 PureView.
See the fine print for more information.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- one (1) Nokia Asha 311 and one (1) Nokia 808 PureView to up to 3 overall winners.
- up to ten (10) store spotlight packages.
- up to ten (10) $100 NAX credits.
Entries may be awarded more than one prize.
In the case where legal restrictions prevent the allocated prize being awarded, an alternative prize will be substituted.
Evaluation of entries
Entries will be judged on their compliance with relevant Series 40 UI guidelines, quality of the application, innovation and originality in application functionality, use of advanced APIs (where appropriate), and market appeal. Multiple entries are encouraged, but will be assessed on their individual merits — so a single great app will win over multiple less-impressive applications.
The entries will be judged by selected Nokia technical experts at the end of the competition. Typically, results are posted within two of the end of the competition.
General questions or comments concerning this competition can be submitted as comments to this wiki page or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The fine print
The main sponsor of the Publish and Win competition is Nokia Corporation, Finland (“main sponsor”). The competition is a competition of skill. No purchase or admission fee is necessary to participate. By participating in the Publish and Win competition the participant indicates his/her/its acceptance of these rules and agrees to be bound by them as well as any rules and regulations of Nokia Developer. You acknowledge and agree that no form of cheating will be tolerated. Any persons found cheating, as determined in the sole and absolute discretion of the main sponsor, will immediately be disqualified from the contest. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the main sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to amend, withdraw or revise these rules and the prizes at any time without notice and in such event the main sponsor shall not have any liability whatsoever.
This Publish and Win competition shall not constitute a commitment or create a joint venture, partnership, agency or other business relationship between the participants and the main sponsor of this competition. This Publish and Win competition shall not either be understood to grant to any participant whether expressly or by implication any ownership, rights or license to any intellectual property rights of the main sponsor and vice versa. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Nokia shall not be liable for any damages arising out of the participant’s participation in the Publish and Win competition. The laws of Finland shall be applicable to any disputes arising out of the Publish and Win competition. Unless otherwise provided for in applicable mandatory legislation, such disputes will be finally settled in the public court of Helsinki.
Nokia, Nokia Developer employees and contractors may not compete.
Copyright ©2013 Nokia. All rights reserved. Nokia and Nokia Developer are registered trademarks of Nokia Corporation.