Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Balsamiq stencils for Series 40 UI Design
This article is a short introduction into the Series 40 UI design stencils (aka toolkit, design templates) for Balsamiq.
You want to create a concept for your app quickly in electronic format?
You do not want to learn Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator?
You are looking for a complete set of available LCDUI components as UI design stencil set?
This article is for you.
Downloads (Fast lane)
Available are the following files.
|Full touch||Touch and type||Non touch|
The idea behind Balsamiq is that you visualize your idea fast in electronic format – preferably faster than with pencil and paper. The point is that you do not deliver something pixel perfect but some sketchy. People will not start arguing about pixel perfection, but they will talk about the basic arrangement of your layouts. Nevertheless, the layouts look clean and you can organize them very easily.
Baslamiq’s success is partially build on people contributing to their libraries – like these stencils submitted by the author. Baslamiq is still affordable and you can try with a 7 days trial to figure out if Balsamiq is for you. There exist standalone versions, cloud and wiki solutions with reverting possibilities. Personally, I like Balsamiq because of various reasons:
- It allows teams to work on layouts and solutions – not only for mobile app but whatever you want to draw sketch about.
- You are not carried away by layout details. There is just a limited amount of icons and so far I always managed to make something from that. But if really necessary, you can import an image, e.g. a company logo.
- It is fast, really fast, especially if there are ready symbols available.
- The result is perfect for interaction design - no graphics overhead
- I can get pdf and png as output.
- Faster results then e.g. Inkscape or Illustrator
However, there are other solutions out there, but so far Balsamiq has ticked all the right boxes for me and I do not see a reason why to change to anything else, not saying that there might be something out there what suits you better. Please check Balsamiq.com for more information about Balsamiq software and solutions.
Oh yes, I am not endorsed in any way by Balsmiq, I am simply a fan.