What is Ergonomic Design in context of mobile?
- Ergonomics is the science of designing the job, equipment, and workplace to fit the user.
- Ergonomic Design in context of mobile applications means designing the applications so that the user can use the application comfortably without being visually, mentally or physically stressed.
- It takes account of the user’s capabilities and limitations in seeking to ensure that tasks and information suit the user.
Guidelines for Ergonomic Mobile Design
Ergonomic Design for mobile applications mainly deals with the proper design of UI (User Interface).Let us look at some key points that must be kept in mind while designing UI.
4. Ensure that the tap region and size of the user interface element are ergonomic.
Especially in case of Touch UI, proper spacing must be available for selection of UI elements.
Incorrect Design Correct Design
5. Ensure that the user interface elements are clearly visible in low light.
6. In case of touch screen UI, the size of the user interface elements should be optimized.
The following table lists the optimal sizes for user interface elements on a .24 dot pitch display, depending on whether a stylus or finger is used to interact with user interface elements.
Method of interaction User interface element size
Stylus 5.04mm or 21 x 21 pixels
Finger 9.12mm or 38 x 38 pixels
7. Use the same soft key for sequential commands.
8. Because a color can appear differently on different device displays, do not use color to convey the meaning of critical features.
Keeping in mind above mentioned points can help in making mobile application design 'Ergonomic' and thus will add value to the application.
--Submitted by - Aadhar14b, 21 June 2009