Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
What is Ergonomic Design in context of mobile?
- Ergonomics is the science of designing the job, equipment, and workplace to fit the user.
- Ergonomic Design in context of mobile applications means designing the applications so that the user can use the application comfortably without being visually, mentally or physically stressed.
- It takes account of the user’s capabilities and limitations in seeking to ensure that tasks and information suit the user.
Guidelines for Ergonomic Mobile Design
Ergonomic Design for mobile applications mainly deals with the proper design of UI (User Interface).Let us look at some key points that must be kept in mind while designing UI.
5. Ensure that the user interface elements/objects and the text are clearly visible in presence of low light.
7. As colors can appear differently on different mobiles according to there displays, do not use color conventions to specify critical features.
8. In case of a sequential flow of actions, use the same soft key.
This helps the user to carry on with the continuity of application flow without getting distracted to locate the position of the soft key for the next course of action to happen in that flow.
Keeping in mind above mentioned points can help in making mobile application design 'Ergonomic' and thus will add value to the application.
--Submitted by - Aadhar14b, 21 June 2009