Revision as of 09:06, 3 October 2012 by
Archived:Flash Lite Q&A
From Nokia Developer Wiki
Created:(24 Apr 2008)
Last edited:(03 Oct 2012)
Open Questions from the Nokia/Adobe Webinar of Late Spring 2008.
We ran out of time to finish the Q&A after the session. Posted here to a range of people from Nokia Developer. Hopefully Adobe and others can pitch in if there is more to add.
- Steve Ellis - Technology Marketing, Nokia Developer
- Hartti Suomela - Leading Nokia Developer Communities
- Riku Salminen - Senior Consultant - Nokia Developer
- ian morton: The presentation seemed very marketing oriented, would be nice to have some tech ones - Steve: agreed the presentation was delivered from a marketing viewpoint. We will make sure more technical content will be in future Flash Lite presentations.
- samy elbaz 2: The Nokia N810 comes in with the Flash 9.0 which makes it AS 3 compatible. Will Nokia or Adobe provide best practise AS3 development recommendations for this specific device? Steve: I am not aware of any plans at the moment to create N810 guideliens - essentially there is no Delta from the desktop version.
- Marc Alloul: Bill: unfortunately your Audio are cutting frequently :-(
- Rob Toole: Can swf content be reliably embeded inside Nokia WRT widgets? Riku: Yes, for a given value of "reliable" please see: this article
- Alexandros Kassios: When will the first Flash Lite 3 nokia cellphones come into market? - Hartti: The first devices are already on market, like N95 & N82 models through firmware updates
- Paul Lamonby: As future 'real world' users of these new features, I feel it would be beneficial for all parties to get developers involved from an early stage.Steve: we are actively looking for FL content Developers to get involved in our Champions program - and through that be represented on our Developer Advisory Council."
- raz malchi: how can one avoid the flash default launcher when starting an application? Steve: Embed content in the web page published as Flash Lite. Lauch swf directly (possible through WRT).
- Eike Dehde: Will Nokia provide some new device form factors like Chumby as a kind of wifi picture frame with telephony support? - Hartti: Roadmap information is not available. Device-specific information is available after the device has been announced.
- Christopher Caleb: What about installing SWF's as standalone applications on series 40 devices? Is that being addressed? It would be nice if we could wrap the SWF and any resources up somehow. - Hartti: You can install swf files on Series 40 devices already as standalone applications and that has been available since day one.
- Hayden Porter: Does Nokia have plans to release Flash Lite capable devices for North American CDMA networks such as Sprint?
- Hayden Porter: It would be helpful to have a document giving developers advice on how design Flash lite experiences for both touch screen interfaces and backwards compatible to keypress interfaces. Steve - agreed, and any input on required documentation is welcome.
- Paul Lamonby: New distribution models sound great. Are you opening these up to developers as Beta and if so can we apply for this? Steve - Not able to discuss - but we are all aware of the problem.
- Greg Hunt: Also would it be possible to run a flash application from startup, using forexample qstart Riku: In S60, launching (native) applications at device startup can be done using Startup List Management (Read SDK docs for more info). So, you can write a small native launcher that does this during startup. Note that this launcher must be signed with a trusted certificate, self-signing is not enough.
- Frank Geldof: text
- Parag Shekatkar: Especially mobile gaming from an "outside the browser" perspective?
- JOYDEV MONDOL: What is the Flash Lite compatibility with platforms other than s60 like Win CE?
- Eike Dehde: Do you plan to support some offline mode like AIR at the desktop? Riku: The Flash Lite standalone player is doing exactly that. There's no forced network connection
- Tim Shear: Are adobe device central - device profile updates be in sync with nokia firmware updates Steve: This is an issue we are working on.
- albert cumplido: In which way are you working for improving security issues: SSL, .... ?
- Andres Ibanez: Do you know if is it possible to woirk with little databases inside user´s phone and get an connection througt Internet with others DB too? Steve: Perhaps Mobile Web Server could be the answer? See FN.com
- Daniel Koolman: Will Nokia be releasing a SIS wrapper for installing Flash Lite Application on Nokia S60 devices? Steve: This is a problem we are aware of. Packaging is an issue we want to offer some simple solutions for.
- Parag Shekatkar: How significant is this for the game developers?
- ian morton: Which area are small developers making most money from at the moment? Steve: facts and figures are hard to come by. Perhaps Adobe can provide hard numbers
- William Gregoire: Problem is, right now, provider sell per kbit internet browsing or limit to website they have contract with (google, ebay, ...) , does Nokia plan to make some 'pressure' to these providers ?
- Alexandros Kassios: Hello from Greece. will Flex developing integrate with Flash Lite in the future? (Alex)
- Alessandro Pace: will Flash Lite animated ringtones content supported in the future Nokia devices? Steve: Good question - no answer from me - impossible to talk about any future product features.
- Rich Hauck: Are Nokia and Adobe working together in regards to upcoming touch-screen S60 devices?
- Venkat Kalakkad: Would Flashlite dev tools be integrated with carbide dev tools? Steve: Unlikely.
- Hayden Porter: How do Flash Lite developers bring content to the OVI download service? Steve: Download! is being developed and streamlined. Nokia Developer will be publishing info as soon as we are able.
- Eike Dehde: What type of DRM support do you plan to provide within Flash lite inside Nokia devices? On top of OMA DRM and MS Steve: None at present.
- Marc Alloul: Hello, thank you very much for your time and very nice presentation. Question for Nokia. Can you share your strategy and early results with respect to commercial deployment ? given your relation with Mobile Carrier what do you see as the best path to monetize content.
- Andres Ibanez: Hi Bill, could I ask you a technical question about FL3?
- JOYDEV MONDOL: Is there any IDE fro developing Flash Lite applications? - Hartti: Adobe Flash Professional CS3 and 8 (for non-Flash Lite 3.0 content)
- Raj Singh: Would Flash 8 games work on mobile? Can I use the touch-screen to re-create the mouse interactions in a Flash 8 game on the desktop? - Hartti: You need to re-think the UI logic to allow keypad based interaction and you can only use functionality available on Flash Lite
- JOYDEV MONDOL: What did u meant by opening up more device capabilities? Is it opening up unexposed device capabilities that are actually built-in in certain s60 devices? like Accelerometer in N95... Steve: Cannot discuss specifics. When, what, and where will be announced when we are able. Sorry.
- Brad Nicholas: will flashlite be available on TrollTech / Qt based devices? Steve: see above. Sorry.
- ian morton: What Flex facilities in Flash Lite?
- Raj Singh: Is Flash Lite more of a runtime, or can you actually encode to Flash Lite and if so, would Flash Lite actually play in Flash on the desktop? - Hartti: Flash Lite applications do not support all desktop Flash functionality and there are some Flash Lite specific features which the desktop Flash do not support. Steve: Flash Lite on web pages does play back on desktop browsers
- Raj Singh: You also mention that Flash Lite 3 supports FLV, what if the Flash Player is Flash 9? - Hartti: Flash 9 (for desktops) contains support for FLV
- Graeme Tuffnell: On a desktop, you need to click on the flashplayer to make the screen active. How does that work on the phone? Steve: With Flash Lite embedded in a web page, you need to move the cursor and click to make it active.
- Bobby Rafferty: Is there any significant difference for developing for the browser than the standalone player. Steve: technically there is not much difference. Some navigation issues. Packaging/distribution is removed as a hurdle. Security sandbox could be. Content is only available online.
- Felix Garcia Lainez: I mean in the browser, because integrate FlashLite 3.0 in Nokia N95 will be as easy as install the player...
- Raj Singh: You said Flash Lite 3 supports Flash 8, does that mean I have to re-encode my Flash 8 projects to Flash Lite 3 or will it just work?
- Greg Hunt: Is it possible to embed flash content within our own (c++) applications? Riku: This should be possible through document handler - running the swf embedded.
- Barbara Margolius: Will ActionScript 3 become available for FlashLite?
- Fredrik Davidsson: Like the camera.
- Felix Garcia Lainez: How can be integrated FlashLite 3.0 in Nokia N95? Riku: Flash Lite 3.0 is included in the latest firmware update
- Paul Lamonby: When will Series 40 start to support Flash Lite in the browser? We need these devices to convince content providers that there is a big enough percentage of handsets that can support Flash Lite applications. Steve: sorry - not able to commnet on future product or platform support.
- Fredrik Davidsson: Can I access HW through Flash lite? Steve: Using middleware.