Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
General mobile app design guidelines
Stub: This article is a stub - an "empty" article that has been requested by another wiki user.
You can help by extending the article, or by adding comments which provide part of the information required.
Suggestions for content: This article only includes a subset of reasonable design guidance. I suggest adding a number of sections and populating each section by area. Also providing links to platform specific design guidance.
- While switching to background the application should act correctly, e.g. backlight should be turned off, sounds should be paused.
- Application should pause on high priority system interrupts, like incoming call, messages.
- User should be able to switch to other applications.
- Application should be paused in case of low battery, and should give an option to save the application state and close.
- The audio level of the application should be in sync with the selected profile.
- User can resume the application smoothly after a paused state.
- Application should not behave abnormally in case the user provides a wrong input. A proper error message should be displayed to user.
- Application should not exit by its own in case of low memory condition. At least a notification should be given to the user.
- Application should handle all screen orientation properly. If it does not support landscape mode, then it should display proper message.