Revision as of 16:23, 5 September 2012 by
How to embed and play a .wav file in Windows Phone 7 app
From Nokia Developer Wiki
This article describes how to embed a WAV file into the WP7 app and play it later.
- First let us create a Windows Phone Application. To create it, open Visual Studio and select Windows Phone Application from the installed templates.
- Select Windows Phone 7.1 as the Target Version.
- Right-click on the “References” in the project and click “Add Reference…”. Find the “Microsoft.Xna.Framework” reference and add it to your project.
Embedding WAV File
- Let's Add WAV File.To do this right-click on the project and add new folder. Give desired name to this folder. Here, I am naming it as Sound.
- Right-click on the Sound folder and add existing items. Add WAV file to this folder.
- After adding WAV file select the file and right-click and open Properties and change the “Build Action” to “Resource”
- Add the following namespace to the MainPage.xaml.cs file
- Code to play the .wav file
void Play_wavFile(object sender, EventArgs e)
StreamResourceInfo _stream = Application.GetResourceStream(new Uri("/AgeCalculator;component/Sound/BirthdayTune.wav", UriKind.Relative));
SoundEffect _soundeffect = SoundEffect.FromStream(_stream.Stream);
SoundEffectInstance soundInstance = _soundeffect.CreateInstance();
To play the wav file on a button press
Private void button1_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
- Now build the project and run it using F5.