Revision as of 04:32, 11 September 2012 by
How to embed and play a .wav file in Windows Phone 7 app
From Nokia Developer Wiki
This article describes how to embed a WAV file into the WP7 app resources and play it.
SDK: Windows Phone 7.1Compatibility
Platform(s): Windows Phone 7.5Article
Windows Phone 7.5
Windows Phone 7.5
Created:(05 Sep 2012)
Last edited:(11 Sep 2012)
First create a Windows Phone application.
- Open Visual Studio and select Windows Phone Application from the installed templates. Here I have named the application "Age Calculator".
- Select Windows Phone 7.1 as the Target Version.
- Right-click on the “References” in the project and click “Add Reference…”. Find the “Microsoft.Xna.Framework” reference and add it to the project.
Adding the WAV file to project resources
Next add the WAV File to the project resources:
- Right-click on the project and add new folder. Name the folder - here I have used the name "Sound".
- Right-click on the Sound folder and select Add existing items. Add the WAV file to this folder.
- After adding WAV file select the file and right-click and open Properties and change the “Build Action” to “Resource”
Code to play embedded WAV file
- Add the following namespace to the MainPage.xaml.cs file
- Code to play the .wav file
void Play_wavFile(object sender, EventArgs e)
StreamResourceInfo _stream = Application.GetResourceStream(new Uri("/AgeCalculator;component/Sound/BirthdayTune.wav", UriKind.Relative));
SoundEffect _soundeffect = SoundEffect.FromStream(_stream.Stream);
SoundEffectInstance soundInstance = _soundeffect.CreateInstance();
- To play the wav file on a button press
Private void button1_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
- Now build the project and run it using F5.