Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Information Visualization: Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP)
What is Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP)?
RSVP is a presentation technique of displaying information (usually text) dynamically in a limited space, in which each piece of information is displayed at a fixed point on the screen and briefly in a sequential order.
It is based on the idea of presenting information in temporal fashion instead of spatial.
Benefits of RSVP
- Requires limited space to display text, which can address the typical design issue in mobile - small screen.
- Faster reading – Proven to be as fast as reading from a book or on a large screen in several evaluations done.
- It facilitates visually disabled people to read more comfortably.
Limitations of RSVP
- Impose an increase in cognitive demand.
- Memory load can be high for some users - more attention is required.
- Missing a few chunks of information can cause loss of link to the context of information, especially if backward navigation is not available.
- To decrease the task load which occurs in RSVP, Adaptive RSVP came into picture, which is based on the assumption that the eye remains fixed on a text chunk as long as it is being processed.
- Adaptive RSVP tries to mimic the reader’s text processing speed by adjusting the exposure time of each text chunk according to quantitative linguistic features of the text.
- Short and common words are thus exposed faster than long and rare words.
- Web Browsers - Can be used to read specific content in the web site.
- Document Reader Applications – applications that help in text reading can provide option for RSVP for a selected page, paragraph or any other specific selection.
- RSS Feed Widgets.
RSVP Design Guidelines
- An application using RSVP should provide options to turn RSVP reading on/off – it should not be mandatory to read the information in the application through RSVP, because all users might not be comfortable with it.
- Provide 'setting options' for RSVP
- Text size
- Speed of information appearance
- Provide easily accessible option to ‘pause’, so that user will not miss any information during pause operation.
- Provide easily accessible option to ‘go back’ to previous chunk of information.
--Submitted by - Aadhar14b, 30 June 2009