Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40 Release Notes
General description of the release
Main new features:
- Nokia-specific extension class LocationUtil for Location API (JSR-179) which allows selecting positioning technology including cell ID and WLAN
- Networking and device capabilities made available via new Nokia-specific system properties
- UI enhancements: more application customization (startup screen, font size)
List of new features
- MIDlets can use the following new Nokia-specific system properties:
- MIDlets can use the following new Nokia-specific system properties only on dual-SIM devices:
- com.nokia.multisim.cellid.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.cellid.sim2
- com.nokia.multisim.lac.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.lac.sim2
- com.nokia.multisim.mnc.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.mnc.sim2
- com.nokia.multisim.networkavailability.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.networkavailability.sim2
- com.nokia.multisim.networkid.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.networkid.sim2
- com.nokia.multisim.networksignal.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.networksignal.sim2
- com.nokia.multisim.networkstatus.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.networkstatus.sim2
- MIDlets can now use the following pre-existing Nokia-specific system properties in all protection domains:
UI and graphics
- MIDlets display a start-up screen when launched, providing users immediate feedback that the MIDlet is about to start.
- MIDlets can use fonts with a custom height.
- Calling VideoControl.setDisplayFullScreen(true) automatically plays the video in landscape mode.
- Users can select the access point settings for each MIDlet on single-SIM devices.
- Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40 supports Content Handler API 1.0.1.
- Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40 supports the Nokia-specific extension class com.nokia.mid.location.LocationUtil for Location API (JSR-179), which allows MIDlets to explicitly select a location technology like cell ID and WLAN for positioning
Devices using this release
For more information about Series 40 devices which use Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40, see the device specifications page on Nokia Developer web site here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/?filter1=javaRuntime1.0.0. The support for Java Runtime can be checked for each device by clicking the 'APIs' tab when viewing a device specification.
Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java is the first SDK for Series 40 which supports the development for Series 40 devices with Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40. The SDK can be downloaded from Nokia Developer site here: https://www.developer.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/4a94a6d5-c7f4-487f-b1d0-c9f269030dc1/Nokia_SDK_for_Java.html
For more information about the new features in Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40, see Java Developer's Library.