Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Mobile Design Pattern: Scalability
m (Bot change of links to internal format.)
|Line 38:||Line 38:|
* [Scalable UI]
* [Using scalable text]
Revision as of 07:53, 18 May 2011
Scalability refers to the ability of the application to adapt to different screen sizes and orientations.
- When effective usage of screen space is required.
- To provide rich experience to the user.
- Different variants of application not required for different screens.
- Some applications like browser can be used much better in landscape mode.
- Less effort required to support the application on a new device.
- Built in system components already supports scalability.
- Custom components should be designed and tested properly for scalability.
- Orientation change can be initiated through a hardware event and also through the application.
- On change of orientation, the application should continue normally.
- In case a particular screen is not supported, proper error dialog should be displayed to the user.
- Application data like text, images should be rendered properly for different screens and should be easily readable by the user.