Nokia Asha web apps - known issues
Problems while deploying test apps with Bluetooth Launcher
Only for Series 40, phones based Nokia Asha Software platform 1.0 do not support Bluetooth launcher.
Get the latest Bluetooth Launcher: http://nokia.ly/btlauncher
If you have installed Nokia Xpress Browser to your phone (http://download.browser.ovi.com/) and still encounter an error note "Ovi Browser by Nokia was not found on your device..." when deploying a test app to the device over a Bluetooth connection, you can still test apps by following chapter 2.6.2 "Deploy by use of a short URL".
In this case you open Nokia Xpress Browser manually and enter the short URL as the page address. This will point the browser to your web app preview front page.
Nokia Asha Web App Tools
See release notes for possible known issues for Nokia Web Tools
- Nokia Asha Web App Tools 3.0 Beta releasenotes
- Nokia Web Tools 2.3 releasenotes
- Nokia Web Tools 2.0 releasenotes
- Nokia Web Tools 1.5 releasenotes
- Nokia Web Tools 1.2 releasenotes
- Nokia Web Tools 1.2.1 releasenotes (China servers version)
Web app life span on the preview server
A Web App that is uploaded to test server during development, from Nokia Web Tools, is removed after two weeks of inactivity. Note that this does not apply to Web Apps published to Nokia Store.
Web app size limit on the preview server
- Situation: When previewing a web app in WAS or uploading a web app to the test server, the message Upload failed - 10 Jun 2011 02:47 PM Error Details: Bad Request may be observed.
- Issue: There is a size limit on *.wgt files of 500Kb. Files of greater size will not be uploaded to the test server.
- Workaround: Reduce the size of the *.wgt file.
Web app download and execution
Downloadable content size limit in Nokia Asha web apps
Maximum size for downloadable content is 20MB. Any file bigger than that will result HTTP Error 413: Request entity too large.
Page expired - Reloaded automatically note
A session is initiated, when you start a web app. If you are not using the web app for five minutes session expires, which causes the web app to be reloaded.
- Issue: web app UI elements may render incorrectly after backstepping to the app from an external URL. This is due an issue with translating CSS styles in this scenario.
- Workaround: No current workaround. Developers are advised to experiment with alternate CSS styles, if they encounter this issue.
XMLHttpRequest fails to follow HTTP 302 Redirect
If web server redirects XMLHttpRequest to another URL, current client does not automatically load the new URL. HTTP status code 302, can be handled in code, but new location cannot be read from the response headers. No known workaround.
Geolocation API anonymous callback functions
Please note that anonymous functions cannot be passed to getCurrentPosition() as arguments.
//does not work
//check error code
Correct way to obtain location is introduced in Nokia Asha web apps – W3C Geolocation API.
- Widget preferences values are not stored and retrieved correctly in some cases when deploying the app using the short URL method. As a workaround Use Bluetooth or USB deployment.
- Stored preferences should be under 256 characters long and number of keys for a single web app can use is 500.
For details please see Using widget.preferences in Nokia Asha Web Apps
Base64 encoding and decoding
This issue is fixed in new in Nokia Asha web apps runtime proxy server update deployed in April 2013
Parsing XML document with namespace
When executing getElementsByTagName("title"); query to above XML file, Simulator local preview returns the Correct NodeList having 1 element. However in Cloud Preview and on the Device zero nodes are returned.
As a workaround getElementsByTagNameNS('http://www.domain.com/products/','title'); can be used in both environments.
Animating multiple properties at once is not supported. For example following CSS property does not work in the device or in the cloud preview.
-webkit-transition-property: margin, height, width ; /*Does not work*/
Solution: Animate only a single property at a time.
For margin animation use explicit margin-top and margin-left instead of margin.
Text Overflow Mode
text-overflow-mode: ellipsis || clip, does not work in the current version of Nokia Asha web apps
Text inside an element having overflow: hidden; and width: 0px; is not rendered correctly. The text should be hidden completely, but instead it is drawn letter by letter vertically. As a workaround limit the element minimum width 1px wide.
CSS Background image issues
Background images are up- or down-scaled to to match element e.g. DIV size, not repeated. If padding is applied to element, background image is scaled to element size, without taking padding into account. Then the scaled background image is repeated to fill the whole element area.
background-position property does not work in the device, but it does on local and cloud preview.
Web App Simulator preview issues
The reload button in the simulator toolbar restarts the web app based on the last version launched in the simulator. Using this button doesn’t include any changes in the web app code made in the Web Developer environment after the simulation was launched. This ensures consistence between the local and cloud previews - as the cloud preview will always be based on the last version of the web app uploaded to the server. To include any changes in code in the simulation, it must be run again from the Web Developer Environment.
Large Images are not scaled for the Simulator preview
Images served to simulator on a cloud preview are original ones in the original size. However for device, large images are resized by the proxy to fit device screen. One must take this into account when previewing a web app in simuluator.
Secure callbacks when previewing apps on the simulator
- Situation: When submitting information over a secure (SSL) connection during web app testing, in WAS.
- Issue: Secure callbacks using SSL to servers via the MWL are currently not supported from the simulator. As a result secured data, such as Facebook user name and password, may not be secure when web apps are previewed in the simulator. This isn't an issue when using the app on a phone. As a result it's recommended that only test user accounts, instead of personal ones, be used during development and previewing of applications.
- Workaround: Use test accounts or change passwords after testing.
Phone based testing
Preference values do not work correctly when deploying apps via short URL
- Issue: Web apps launched from the short URL are unable to make use of the Widget API preferences attribute to save and restore data between sessions. This means that web app features making use of persistent data — such as preference settings — will not work when a web app is launched in this way during development.
- Workaround: Use the Bluetooth Launcher to launch the web app on a phone. Alternatively, you can open the original deployment URL in S40 device Nokia Browser (See image below)
setItem() and getItem() methods in local previews
This issue is fixed in Web Tools 2.0
In a local preview, the widget preferences attribute doesn’t provide support for setItem() and getItem() methods. If you want to use preferences in a local preview, use the widget.preferences["key"] syntax instead. Alternatively, use a cloud based preview only with web apps using these methods.
This issue is fixed in Web Tools 1.5
- Issue: Pages with vertical scrolling will cause a scrollbar to rendered in the Simulator. This will also cause horizontal scrolling, since the content is extended to a width larger than the window width.
- Workaround: Always try to test on Nokia Asha phones.
Issues after upgrades
Some users may encounter issues with the deployment, previewing, and uploading of web apps crashing after upgrading from 1.2 to 1.5.
This issue seems to be related to the memory available to Eclipse, in some installations. You should be able to fix the issue by setting MAXPermSize to a higher value. Locate the NokiaWDE.ini file in:
- C:\Program Files\Nokia Web Tools 1.5.0\Web Developer Environment\ under Windows.
- /applications/Nokia Web Tools 1.5.0/Web Developer Environment/ under Mac.
- /usr/local/NokiaWebTools-1.5.0/Web Developer Environment/ under Ubuntu.
Edit the ini file and look for:
Change 256m to 512m, save and restart WDE.
You should now be able to deploy, preview, and upload without issues.
You can check the current settings from the WDE About dialogue (from the Help menu click About NokiaWDE then in the dialogue click Installation Details and open the Configuration tab) as shown here:
Issues with non-standard WDE launches
In some cases, such as BAT execution of the WDE, the “--launcher.XXMaxPermSize” argument seems to be ignored. This results is similar issues to those described above. To fix such issues, in the NokiaWDE.ini file set the parameters to:
Templates include incorrect code for page refreshing
This issue is fixed in Web Tools 1.5