Series 40: Editions and Feature Packs
m (moved Series 40 to Series 40: Editions and Feature Packs: To enable the Series 40 page to be used to provide a overview of Series 40 features and benefits)
Revision as of 07:17, 12 August 2010
Nokia Series 40 is a platform for mobile phones based on the same core, functionality and some technical details. It is found in more than 100 million devices. There was a Series 30 that doesn't exist anymore. Some of its devices (as Nokia 3595) were upgraded to Series 40.
Series 40 on the surface appears to be a simpler operating system than the higher end S60 and Series 80. Series 40 devices differ from the Symbian-based platforms in that they do not support true multi-tasking and do not have a native code API for third parties and thus do not support installable applications other than MIDlets that are written in Java or applications in Flash Lite. It is primarily because of the former that Series 40 appears to be more responsive and faster than other Nokia platforms.
Series 40 1st Edition
The first edition of this platform supports:
- Java ME with MIDP 1.0, CLDC 1.0 and Nokia UI API.
- WAP Browsing with WML support.
- The classic screen resolution is 128x128
Series 40 2nd Edition
Its devices supports:
- Java ME with MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.0, Wireless Messaging API (WMA), Mobile Media API (MMAPI) and Java APIs for Bluetooth (JSR 82) (where the device supports the technology).
- WAP Browsing with WML and XHTML MP (Mobile Profile) support.
- The classic screen resolution is 128x160
Series 40 3rd Edition
Its devices supports:
- Java ME with MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1, Wireless Messaging API (WMA), Mobile Media API (MMAPI), Java APIs for Bluetooth (JSR 82), FileConnection and PIM APIs and Mobile 3D Graphics API (JSR 184).
- WAP 2.0 Browsing with WML, XHTML MP (Mobile Profile) and ECMAScript support.
- Screen resolutions can be 128x160, 208x208, 240x320.
Series 40 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1
Extending the 3rd Edition, this pack adds:
- For Java ME, supports for Wireless Messaging API 2.0 (JSR 205) and Scalable 2D Vector Graphics API (JSR 226).
- Flash Lite applications and content supporting version 1.1 of the Adobe's platform
- Support for Themes creation
Series 40 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2
Series 40 5th Edition
- Java ME adds support for JSR 177 (APDU and CRYPTO), JSR 234 (Music and 3D Audio only)
- Flash Lite 2.1 support
The platform official website is http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/platforms/s40/index.html