Series 40 UI concept design webinar – companion article
This article is companion for the Series 40 UI concept design webinars. It contains
- shortlist of the webinar content,
- solutions and proposals for the webinar exercises
- discusses open issues which could not be solved during the webinar Q/A session
It covers both sessions:
- 23.08.2012, link to slide deck and recording will be added
Next UX related webinar: User-centric Design of Series 40 Apps: Games (preliminary title), about game interaction paradigms, menus and all that jazz
- 13.09.2012, 10:00 Helsinki time
- 19.09.2012, 18:00 Helsinki time
Answer the following questions before you start the design
- Which problem does your application solve?
- Who will be using your application?
- When and where will people use your application?
- What makes your application mobile?
- What makes your application better than others?
- How do you make money with your app?
- How do you sustain your app (why do people continue buying your app or its content)?
- What is the name of your application (the shorter the better)?
Steps to design your application
- Write down all goals - with somebody else
- Introduce and group goals
- Vote for groups (vote per person = groups/2)
- Prioritize by votes - and business drivers
- Create a flow-end based on a goal
- Define a start point (maybe the splash screen of your application)
- Fill the necessary steps between the start point and the flow end
- Create flows for all goals
- Sort the flows (which flows belong together)
- Group flow steps to views
- Find a matching navigation structure
- Prioritize functions and information
- Compose your view
- Test it
- Re-design where necessary
- Continue testing and adjusting the design
- When do you choose a tumbler instead of a list? Do not restrict this problem to Series 40 Full Touch LCDUI or Nokia UI.
- How do you use radio buttons and when do you use check boxes?
- Check ”panta rhei” from www.wikipedia.org
- Compose a view
- Business driver is to sell e-tickets for a soccer game within an entire soccer league
- In the previous view, the user has chosen this certain game. For this game she wants to buy tickets
- Only Series 40 full touch
- No category bar, standard header bar and Back button
- View items [amount of votes, max 8]
* Buy tickets (link)  * More information about the stadium (info)  * Show how many tickets have been bought for this game by this user (info)  * Display the e-tickets  * Show start time (info)  * More information about the soccer teams (link)  * Show stadium name (info)  * Navigate me to the stadium (link)  * Show stadium adress (info)  * Show emblems of soccer clubs (info)