Series 40 UI design port from Android webinar - companion article
This article is companion for the UI design techniques for porting Android apps to Series 40 full touch webinars held in October 2012. It covers both sessions (4 October 2012 and 10 October 2012).
Porting an application design from Android to Series 40 is not as difficult as it might first appear. While Series 40 phones are cost-optimized, their smartphone-like experience is provided by a UI with many comparable features. We recommend that you never compare designs for different size screens because the screen real estate for relevant information and call-to-action becomes more and more of an issue when reducing the screen size. For the webinar examples we’re comparing designs for devices with similar sizes: Series 40 Full touch (3’’ screen) and e.g. Galaxy Mini (3,14’’ screen). Some of the advice may also apply to devices with larger sizes.
The webinar addresses basic UI design aspects when porting a design from Android "Jelly Bean" to Series 40 full touch. This wiki page is the "companion" to the webinar. It includes:
- Webinar exercises (we will add "recommended solutions" after the second webinar session)
- Q/A from the webinar sessions
- Link to slide deck [will be added].
- Link to recording [will be added]
This section contains problems raised in the webinar exercises. The recommended solutions will be added after the second session.
- How would you change the following structure for Series 40 full touch?
- How do Android Jelly Bean and Series 40 full touch differ from selecting multiple?
- Which device has more pixels, the Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 or the Nokia Asha 311?
- Are there any limitations in using buttons in Series 40 full touch?
- What are the benefits of Series 40 full touch backstep paradigm?
- To be added after webinar
Portions of this wiki page contains modifications or is reproduced based on work created and shared by the Android Open Source Project and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 2.5 Attribution License.