Soft notifications are reminders that inform the user of events that have occurred in the user’s absence, or while the user was busy with some application. The user can respond to the soft notification by using the softkeys. The left softkey is used for activating a function, for example opening a message that has arrived.
Soft notifications are displayed only in the Idle state. If an event that causes a soft notification (for example a missed call) occurs when an application is active, it may cause other kinds of UI events to notify the user, but if the user does not react to these, the soft notification appears only after the phone is put in the Idle state if the event still requires it.
Some usability guidelines
- Soft notifications should be displayed in pop-up windows.
- The application that launched a soft notification can control it and also discard it.
- It should be possible to use the Applications key during a soft notification; in that case, the soft notification disappears, but reappears when the user returns to the Idle state.
- The notifications containing one piece of information should have appearance of a note.
- Different items of information can be combined into one soft notification where the items are displayed as a list.