Please note that as of October 24, 2014, the Nokia Developer Wiki will no longer be accepting user contributions, including new entries, edits and comments, as we begin transitioning to our new home, in the Windows Phone Development Wiki. We plan to move over the majority of the existing entries over the next few weeks. Thanks for all your past and future contributions.
Symbian Qt Quick Components Competition 2012Q1
We're having a competition to encourage developers to share their experiences of migrating to the new Symbian (Belle) platform style using the Symbian Qt Quick Components.
In order to compete you need to have a "real" application that uses Symbian Qt Quick Components to provide the application framework and standard controls, and which does so in a way that is consistent with the Symbian Design Guidelines.
We then need an article which describes your experience of using or migrating to the Symbian Qt Quick Components. This article might include:
- how you used the components
- where did the components make things easier or harder, and why
- any cases where you needed to roll out your own behaviour, and why
- advice and guidance for other users - for example how to implement branding while still meeting the guidelines
- your suggestions for improving particular components
The three winners will get their choice of the following devices: Nokia C7-00, Nokia 700, or Nokia 701. If that's not enough, then consider that as winner of a Nokia Developer competition your app will be featured in our Community, Wiki, and Project home pages, as well as in our developer newsletters - giving your app immediate visibility with hundreds of thousands of your peers and potential employers!
How to participate
Write an article on the wiki about your experience of using the Qt Quick Components. Provide a link to the real application so we can try it out and see how well it matches the Symbian Style Guidelines.
Here are the competition rules:
- The application and associated article must be original work. A link must be provided to the application (on Nokia Store or elsewhere).
- The article must have the category Category:Qt Quick and link to this page to indicate it is an entry.
- The article must be submitted by 28th February 2012
- Nokia must have permission to publish a link to your app and screenshots on the wiki, discussion boards, newsletters, and any other mechanisms while promoting this competition and its results. Note that these are automatically granted when you upload them to the wiki by the site Terms and Conditions.
- Only apps that we can test will be accepted.
See the fine print for more information.
Evaluation of entries
As this is a wiki competition we will be evaluating the entries based on its article - the winner will be the article that provides the most useful feedback and best tips for other developers who are considering using the components. The article will however be reviewed in the context of its associated app.
The results are expected to be announced in March.
Generic questions or comments concerning this competition can be addressed as comments to this wiki page.
The fine print
The main sponsor of the competition is Nokia Corporation, Finland (“main sponsor”). The competition is a competition of skill. No purchase or admission fee is necessary to participate. By participating in the competition the participant indicates his/her/its acceptance to these rules and agrees to be bound by them as well as any rules and regulations of Nokia Developer and the Developer’s Wiki. You acknowledge and agree that no form of cheating will be tolerated. Any persons found cheating, as determined in the sole and absolute discretion of the main sponsor, will immediately be disqualified from the contest. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the main sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to amend, withdraw or revise these rules and the prizes at any time without notice and in such event the main sponsor shall not have any liability whatsoever.
This competition shall not constitute a commitment or create a joint venture, partnership, agency or other business relationship between the participants and the main sponsor of this competition. This competition shall not either be understood to grant to any participant whether expressly or by implication any ownership, rights or license to any intellectual property rights of the main sponsor and vice versa. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Nokia shall not be liable for any damages arising out of the participant’s participation to the competition. The laws of Finland shall be applicable to any disputes arising out of the competition. Unless otherwise provided for in applicable mandatory legislation, such disputes will be finally settled in the public court of Helsinki.
Nokia Developer employees and contractors are not eligible for this contest. The competition is open to other Nokia employees (except those working directly for Nokia Developer) with the following limitations:
- You should not be directly involved in the development of icons for Nokia platforms or Nokia marketing material
- You should use only the published tools and resources - "practice what you preach"
- Submissions from the Nokia employees will be judged and prized separately, and will not compete directly with third party developers
Copyright ©2011 Nokia. All rights reserved. Nokia and Nokia Developer are registered trademarks of Nokia Corporation.