Usability guidelines for developing application
Usability can be defined as the extent to which an application can be used by user to achieve specified goals with effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction.
Some points to remember while designing User Interface of application:
- Simple Design : User interface of application should be simple as much as possible, by removing unnecessary features, controls so that user does not get confused while using the application. So that user can more concentrate on the functionality. For example, prefer selection control over text input to make users life easy.
- Consistency : The UI and the controls should be consistent across the applications.
- Standard command (keys) : You should provide standard command (Key) for the standard functionality which user know to feel them more confident while using application. For example, As on fire key (OK key/ center key) it should open selected item, as on left side cba key of your application should invoke menu, on right side you should assign back functionality to your application which make user familiar with application.
- Proper error dialog : Error messages are a special form of feedback they tell users that something has gone wrong. Your application should show proper error message in case of any error. Error message should be simple so user can understand it easily. Application also should show error message in proper dialog box. As warning message should be shown in warning dialog.
- Flexibility: Accomodate users with all levels of experience.
- Provide informative response : If your application is loading some icons or taking some times to load view, It should show loading screen so user feels process is going on. In case of sending sms or connecting to GPRS, Application should show progress dialog to show status. Application should give some feedback or response on every user action (activity).
- Help: Applications should have built in help and a proper documentation.