Using Digital Marketing Toolkit
This article will focus and discuss on the strength and limitation of using the digital Marketing Toolkit of Marketing in a Box (MiB).
Note: This is a community entry in the Series 40 Webinars - Contribute and Win Competition 2013Q1 with Marketing in a Box competition.
Digital Marketing Toolkit is a component of Marketing in a Box (MiB) to produce the marketing assets like promo videos, websites, facebook tabs and banners. It's a marketing asset tool to help the developers who have no time or have difficulty in producing the marketing assets for promos, videos and website. We will examine thoroughly the process of creating one of the assets provided by Digital Marketing Toolkit to get good insights and give meaningful recommendations in improving MiB.
Before using the digital Marketing Toolkit, here's the list of requirements in order to use it:
1. Internet connection.
- Since MiB is an online web application, MiB cannot be used if the user has no internet connection.
2. Published Windows phone or S40 mobile application.
- The application that the user wants to create marketing assets.
3. Nokia Developer account.
- MiB will use the developer's account in getting the screenshot and other resources from the published Nokia application needed to produce the required output.
4. YouTube account.
- For uploading the final video asset.
Tip: The user may use the Guidance videos provided by MiB for a short video tutorial on explaining WHAT the user should be doing before launching the application, during launching the application and after launching the application. The videos can be seen in the homepage of MiB.
Marketing in a Box (MiB) link: http://developer.nokia.com/mib
When the user clicks the Digital Marketing Toolkit tab in MiB for the first time, it will display the Marketing kit form (See Figure 01). The user needs to fill-out the following field items:
- Name of Marketing kit.
- The kit name should not exceed to 25 characters. The field can accept space and special characters.
- Marketing assets to create.
- Assets are promotional resource things for marketing like promo video, website, facebook tab and banners.
- Selecting a mobile platform.
- The user may select either Windows or S40 mobile platform of his/her published application. (See Figure 02)
- Typing the URL application.
- After selecting a mobile platform, a new field item will pop-up on the screen and the user needs to type the necessary URL of a published application in the Nokia or Windows Phone market store (See Figure 02-1).
- Selecting a language.
- This is the last field item on this Marketing kit form page. Currently there are 8 languages to choose from (See Figure 02-1).
In this sample, a promo video asset will be selected and the necessary information will be entered and selected. Figure 03 shows a promo video asset that has to be created. Once the continue button has been clicked, the General Information page (Step 1) will be displayed. Figure 04 shows a sample general information page.
One of the limitations that the users may encounter before going to General Information page is the automatic name entry to the application name field. As seen on Figure 04-01, the actual application name exceeded the maximum length of 25 characters, which is somehow absurd to truncate the given application name. It could be better if Nokia would increase an appropriate maximum length for the application name.
Once the required information in General Information page is done, the next step is to go to the Video page (Step 2). Figure 05 shows a sample Video page. On this page, the user may select from the screenshots provided at the right side to be included in creating a promo video and select from the dropdown box about the adjectives that best describe the application. The user may also select a background music for the promo video.
As shown in Figure 05-1, one noticeable in the dropdown box field for the list of adjectives is that the item is not in alphabetical order. It's better if the list is in the alphabetical order to prevent missing the right description to the application. Another limitation is the limited numbers of background music. It's more fun if the user could select more music, slide effects, text stye effects, add more text, add more sounds, etc.
When all is ready, it will generate the preview of the video once the user clicked the preview video button. It's amazing how this toolkit generates a stunning preview of the video with sounds.
Figure 06-1, Figure 06-2, Figure 06-3 and 06-04 are sample video screenshots. When the preview of the video ends, it will display a replay button to replay the video.
After playing the video and the user clicked the continue button, it would display the video final asset page. Figure 07 shows the Video final asset page.
Once ready, the progress indicator will be displayed and the percent of completion will be shown. Figure 08 shows the progress indicator to 1% completion.
The problem in producing the final video assets it that it's too long to produce it. This long duration will likely produce an incomplete video especially with a slow connection. The author attempted this process several times before getting the complete video asset. Figure 08-1 , Figure 08-2 and Figure 08-3 show the progress of completion of producing the video asset with the time widget displayed. This example exceeded more than 30 minutes but it was never been completed.
Once done, the final video will be played by anyone from the YouTube. Figure 10 shows the final stage page for viewing the finished video asset.
The sample final video link uploaded to the YouTube for this article: Scientific_Terms_Dictionary
The good thing in uploading the video to the YouTube is that the toolkit includes the published application link to the user's YouTube page (See Figure 11). This process is one way to promote or market the application to the public.
Listed below are other recommendations/suggestions for upgrading the MiB.
- 1.For creating promo video asset:
- - Add Video Timeline if possible.
- - Add Video Capture of running Nokia application if possible.
- - Add More templates to choose from.
- - More text styles and action effects to choose from
- - Option to attached external media files (sounds, images, video, etc.)
- 2. Create a standalone software application aside from web MiB application for offline use.
- - Standalone native application is more powerful than the current MiB web application because it is faster, more reliable and more efficient to generate/render the final video asset in the offline mode.
- - Adding more features like image,sound and image slide effects and other features that can be found in existing video editing software would be highly achievable and more productive compare to online MiB application, in which it would likely slow down the processing for adding more features.
- 3. Integrate the MiB as a plug-in to the developer tools (NetBeans, Eclipse & Visual Studio).
- - This will help the developer to quickly apply, create, manage the marketing resources in MiB.
- - It could render the final video asset even without the internet connection.
Most developers are great in building application but weak in marketing or promoting it. Digital Marketing Toolkit is a good component tool of MiB that makes it possible in helping the developers to produce the necessary assets for marketing and to increase the sale/purchase of their application. Upgrading the online MiB web application and adding a new MiB plugin to the development tools like NetBeans, Eclipse and Visual Studio, or creating an offline MiB software will provide the developers with more options, more high quality features, better performance and more ease of use in using the Digital Marketing Toolkit of MiB.