Nokia MixRadio API
Nokia MixRadio API is a collection of web service and C# APIs you can use to add elements from the Nokia MixRadio (formerly Nokia Music) service to your apps. You can display music content such as charts, gigs, and mixes within your apps and use app-to-app custom protocols to integrate with the Nokia MixRadio Windows Phone app to provide a complete listening experience.
When you use the Nokia MixRadio API to build your apps, your users can find music from:
- over 200 countries.
- over 3 million global and local artists.
- over 20 million tracks.
- over a century of recordings.
Features and capabilities
The Nokia MixRadio API provides two main capabilities:
The launchers enable your app to pass information to the Nokia MixRadio app on a Nokia Lumia smartphone or open a fallback web page on other Windows Phone devices to:
- search for music.
- show artist details.
- show gigs nearby.
- show available mixes.
- show product details.
- play a mix.
- API methods
The API methods enable you to perform tasks directly within your apps, and integrated Nokia MixRadio content with your apps’ look and feel, including:
- search for an artist
- search for a product (such as album, single, or track).
- get search suggestions.
- get top artists.
- get top products.
- get products by an artist.
- get new releases.
- get a list of genres.
- get artist details (such as name, country, location, genre, and thumbnails).
- get product details (such as name, category, genre, performers, prize, and thumbnails)
- get artist recommendations.
- get product recommendations.
- get artists around a location.
- get a list of available mixes.
- get the user’s play history.
- get the user’s top artists for the week.
You can experience the capabilities of the Nokia Music API and review the code used to deliver those experiences with the following examples:
Music API Test App
This definitive example app delivering an easily understandable and comprehensive learning experience on Nokia Music API.
- Music Explorer
This example app demonstrates the use of Nokia MixRadio API together with standard Windows Phone 8 audio features to create an immersive music experience.
- Bands Around
This example app demonstrates the use of Nokia MixRadio API together with the Windows Phone 8 Map control to create a location-aware music app.
Complete documentation of the Nokia MixRadio API is provided in the Nokia Lumia Developer’s Library. A dedicated section provides a quick start guide, launchers reference, API methods references and details of the objects they return, and example apps.
In addition to the information provided in the Nokia Lumia Developer’s Guide you can also get a great introduction and see worked examples of the Nokia Music (now MixRadio) launcher and APIs from Lumia App Labs episode 6: Using the Nokia Music Windows Phone APIs.
- The Nokia MixRadio API is available free of charge.
- Developers can use the library for any applications published in Windows Phone Store.