Developed for Windows Phone, this app enables users to keep track of all the latest news, videos and "random nonsense" direct from the Top Gear team. The app also includes an offline mode enabling users to watch downloaded videos at any time.
- The user interface is high contrast and well aligned with the Top Gear brand.
- The application uses the brand’s well-known typeface to style main panel headers, and the native Segoe font for body copy ensuring a clean, light, and open look.
- Buttons, dialogues and iconography all use the default Modern UI look.
- Lightweight photography is used throughout the app to bring articles to life. The app also includes a subtle multi-pane background image that reinforces the automotive theme and adds depth to the interface.
- The application opens with a vertical list containing top-level navigation options. Users can also reach these sections by swiping through a series of panels. Each panel contains a list of articles or videos, many of which are enhanced through captions and thumbnail images.
- Once at article level, users can share content using social networks by tapping an icon on the application bar.
- Users can navigate back from all views using the dedicated hardware key.
- Users can download videos by tapping an icon on the application bar. Once downloaded, videos can be found in the Downloads section. This section contains several panels and includes options to help users manage their active and completed downloads.
- Advertising is lightweight, well positioned, and doesn’t detract from the content.